Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Early Childhood

Early Childhood

Early Childhood

Author Post
Maria Mendoza maria Mendoza 925 Points

Good afternoon my name is Maria and I’m currently creating a 5E lesson plan on organisms and environments. I was wondering what would be the best way for me to explain to students how reptiles and amphibians are different. An example is a turtle since it can live both in water and in land. Most students would think it’s an amphibian but it’s a reptile. I’m unsure what type of activity to do to make students understand the correct classification.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Maria -- I don't have a specific activity in mind, but I found it more successful to go beyond where herps (reptiles and amphibians) live as a defining characteristic, since as you noted there are lots of overlaps. You might want to focus on physical characteristics--the scaly skin of reptiles vs the thin skin of amphibians. Another characteristic to mention is the methods of reproduction (the shelled eggs laid on land vs the jelly-like masses of amphibian eggs deposited in water). Another characteristic of most amphibians is their metamorphosis from fish-like swimmers to four-legged adults. A real challenge is for kids to differentiate between lizards and salamanders, but they can do it! -- Mary B

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

Wouldn't it be wonderful for young children to have some first hand experiences observing reptiles and amphibians! Perhaps a local nature center, pet shop, animal shelter, or pet owner would be willing to bring animals to your class.

Best wishes,

Peggy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers