Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Unpacking the NGSS and Science Skills

Next Generation Science Standards

Unpacking the NGSS and Science Skills

Author Post
Katie Weiss Kathleen Graf 435 Points

This post is for anyone who is beginning to read through the NGSS. I found it a daunting process, but a valuable undertaking. I have been blogging my experience last summer and into this summer as our school has continued it. I don't claim to know everything and am learning as we go, but please feel free to read through my blogs, ask questions, and email me for copies of the documents to which I refer! http://scienceteacherintraining.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/patterns-of-science-skills-2013-2014-update-3/ Thanks and best of luck as you embark on implementation of the NGSS! Katie Graf Science Teacher in Iowa

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Katie I am grateful for your blog post. I found it to be informative and useful. So many of the things you shared are exactly the thoughts and wonderings I am experiencing. I find the process daunting at times. I know we are all new to this and together we will get through. I have been appreciative of all of the NSTA seminars on NGSS as they too have been helpful in making sense of the new standards.

Katie Weiss Kathleen Graf 435 Points

Also, our process of "unpacking the standards" has focused on the science skills (Science and Engineering Practices). We have been working on how to provide a solid base for the process of science that will underlie the science content. I go more into this in the blog but wanted to share this briefly here as well. All the best! Katie

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers