Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Four Seasons

Early Childhood

Four Seasons

Author Post
Maria Morales Maria Morales 480 Points

Hello friends,

I have created a lesson plan for a Kindergarten grade-level classroom setting. However, I am finding it difficult to teach this lesson over a week time spand since they will not have the opportunity to observe and record the weather changes in that time frame. I believe a whole school will work better, but I have the feeling it will be too long? If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Patricia Owenby Patricia Owenby 1180 Points

You can teach a season a day for four days and review on the 5th day.  Just do a season each day and do an activity each day. You will find lots of books about eacheseason, you can start with a video or a short book and then do an activity each day. There is a song that I share with my kindergartners every day for calendar, they love it. Here is the link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjpI6fgYSY. It's quite catchy. I hope this can help with some ideas.

Valerie Green Valerie Green 480 Points

I agree that teaching a lesson a day or even a lesson per week would work. I think it is important whichever you choose to incorporate the season of the day or week into many aspects of the classroom so the students really grasp the season. You could provide props in the housekeeping or dramatic play area that reflect a season, you could hang up decorations (sun, clouds, snow flakes etc.) around the classroom, the rotational centers could include things done in the specific season, art projects could reflect the season, specific songs and including a book for circle is good. You could even have a scaffolding discussion where you could get ideas from the students ahead of time or incorporate it into the season and ask 'why is this an activity that we can do in one season versus another?'.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers