Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Succesful Teacher

New Teachers

Succesful Teacher

Author Post
Citlallith Mojica Citlallith Mojica 85 Points

I am currently a college student but working as a tutor in a middle school, I have seen so many phases that the students get and some of them is frustration while doing their work or experiment and they cannot handle a 'no' from their teacher. What would be the best thing to do when in science we are doing an experiment, and they students wants to do something when he is not supposed to do it? Because with the frustration problems that the student have obviosly the student is going to explote easily. I just want to do the right thing to do so we can keep doing the experiment. 

Thank you 

Jennifer Toy Jennifer Toy 735 Points

I am currently a first year science teacher for middle school, and I too see a lot of the same issues from students. What I have found with lab experients is that students should be given expectations of how they should behave in a lab and what they are expected to complete prior to beginning the lab. If students are acting out or misbehaving during lab, I have found that providing them with an alternative activity that still provides them with the same information, but maybe is not as 'fun' will encourage them to want to participate in lab appropriately going forward. Also, in the beginning when you are first getting to know students it might be helpful to do labs together step by step while they get used to lab equipment and expectations. Then, gradually when you achieve mutual trust, you can allow students to do their own investigations. 

Brandon Ramirez Brandon Ramirez 685 Points

It is very difficult to deal with student frustrations but if you can stay calm and help the student to get through the problem in front of them they will not only trust you more but begin to believe in themselves. This is obviously easier said than done and these things come with time as I have seen this year in my first year of tecahing. For some students I was not able to reach this trust point until right before we all became quarantined. Do your best to not get frustrated and continually help this student to achieve through all their frustrations! I look forward to seeing other replies to your post, great question.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers