Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Back to School

Distance Learning

Back to School

Author Post
Melanie Pena Melanie Pena 625 Points

Students are back in school and many are in-person learning. Though many students have fallen behind and are now struggling. For instance, students who were in kinder before the pandemic are now in second grade. Not all students but mostly did not learn how to write or read properly because they were online learning and some students wouldn't even join class, pay attention, or follow along with the work. When they get to the third grade they will be taking the STAAR test. What should a teacher do to help them practice their reading and writing and follow the lesson plan? 

Claire Avery Claire Avery 5035 Points

I'm very passionate about the science of reading, so practicing strategies that will help students comprehend reading/writing at the phonemic level will help improve their skills. Although teachers should focus on their grade-level standards, teachers can still go back to the basics during morning meetings, small group instruction, or centers.

Many schools are still online, so that makes it even harder to catch students up. Even the most successful teachers are not as effective as they can be while using hybrid learning. If a teacher uses zoom, they can create breakout rooms, but it is harder to facilitate the learning (as teachers can only enter one breakout room at a time). In this instance, my best advice is to supply resources to the parents via an online form of communication. Many parents want to help their kids, they just don't have the teaching background to follow the school curriculum. I know this one option will not solve the crisis of students falling behind during the pandemic, but I hope it helped!

Emmanuel Solomon Emmanuel Solomon 430 Points

Melanie,you have posted a great question. I teach some English learners, who have little or no reading and writing skills. Yet, they are expected to follow the same curriculum and take the same assessment as regular students. It is always frustrating for both students and teachers to meet these daunting tasks. So, I understand your frustation. However, all you can do at this point is to focus on the students and worry less on the STAAR test. Meet the students where they are and inspire them to be life long learners (long term goal) as opposed to preparing them to pass some test. 

Kaitlyn Sluger Kaitlyn Sluger 130 Points

I would have a variety of worksheets and excersizes for them to do to see where the fall under and see who needs the exrta support. We are starting these reading assesments next week at our school to see where all the students fall and will go from there if they need small group, one to one, etc.  

Pamela Ayala Pamela Ayala 330 Points

In my opinion, I believe a teacher should have certain assignments and activities to help determine the students progress on a weekly basis. Not only will that help the teacher know where the students stand, but the students will constantly be practicing state level question and readings. It was difficult before to help the students with their progress, now with the pandemic it is a lot more challenging. It is also a good idea to hold the students' parents acountable to help them more at home with their skills since they are not getting a full experience of education. 

Regine Demison Regine Demison 1115 Points

Yes! The entire nation is feeling the fall out of the pandemic. I am so afraid for my students to get any further behind than they already are. The majority of my class was face-to-face last year. However, there are a few that were virtual. I've noticed that those students aren't the ones who are struggling. Many programs that your school sponsors may allow access at home where the students can continually get practice.

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would have a variety of exercises and worksheets to make them fun to learn the things that are needed. They should also practice at home so the skill gains and even through summer so they aren't lost or foggy on the topic. 

Helen McNeil Helen 30 Points

It's tough to see many students struggling with their reading and writing skills after the disruptions caused by online learning during the pandemic. First, it's important to assess each student's individual needs. Take the time to understand where they're struggling the most in reading and writing. This way, you can provide targeted support and address their specific challenges. Next, consider incorporating more interactive and engaging activities into your lessons. This could include interactive reading exercises, writing prompts, and group discussions. Making the learning experience fun and interactive can help students stay engaged and motivated to practice their skills. Additionally, provide regular opportunities for students to practice reading and writing independently. Assign reading assignments and provide writing prompts that are relevant and interesting to them. Encourage them to read books they enjoy and write about topics they find exciting.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers