Forums

Elementary Science

Author Post
Nilda Laurel-Landicho Nilda Laurel-Landicho 1050 Points

I'm currently working on a first grade science unit on rocks. So far we are observing and sorting rocks. I just need ideas on summative and formative assessments.Thanks!

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Nilda, I am just now reading an article about classification for first graders. It is an excellent article and may be what you are looking for. "Classifying Classification", Science and Children, March 2009. Although it is using leaves in the article, it can very easily be using rocks for classification. I hope this helps. Sue Garcia

That's very helpful. I will look for the article. Thanks, Sue!

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

I found 2 articles about working with young children on the topic of rocks.

Digging Into Rocks With Young Children

The Early Years:Rocks Tell A Story

I hope you find these useful.

Thank you for your help! Very useful.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Glad I could be of assistance. :-) Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Nilda,

Here are a few more resources you might find useful:

Formative Assessment Probes: Is it a Rock? Continuous Formative Assessment
Methods & Strategies: Formative Assessment Probes

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

I especially like the first article you mentioned, Maureen. It includes using the Frayer Model as a sample strategy for continuously and formatively assessing our students' learning status for a particular concept. Page Keeley has included that FACT (formative assessment classroom technique) in her book on Formative Assessment Probes: Science Formative Assessment: 75 Practical Strategies for Linking Assessment, Instruction, and Learning. I understand she is coming out with a new book soon. I couldn't wait. This one is great!
Thanks, Page!!!
Carolyn

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Nilda, Have you ever used the "Advanced Search" to find articles? Open the "Learning Resources and Opportunities tab", on the left of the screen-select "advanced search". On the next screen in Keywords type: "Rocks" and scroll down and select "Elementry", now select "search". You will find books, book chapters, and Journal artcles all designed for elementry school students. I found several articles and book chapters that you might be interested in. After you learn how to use this "Advanced Search" function in the Learning Center, you can find quite a few different resources just by adjusting your filter (keywords), way more than I can list here.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers