Forums

Evaluation and Assessment

Assessments

Author Post
Lauren Hayward Lauren Hayward 165 Points

After reading Turning on the Lights: What Pre-Assessments Can Do, I learned that pre-assessments can be both a positive thing and a negative thing. Pre-assessments can help educators learn more about what the student might already know about certain things. This can be a negative thing because giving the pre-assessment can take up too much of instructional time, which gives educators a shorter amount of time to teach the important information. This can be a positive thing because it gives the educator less information to teach the students. I agree at the end of the article it says “However, because pre-assessment cannot predict student growth over time, it cannot and should not be used as a measure to place students in learning groups for the duration of a unit”. Educators can use pre-assessments to indicate how a student thinks or how much they know which wouldn’t be fair. 

In the article “A” is for Assessment, I learned the difference between pre-assessment and post assessments. I wouldn’t agree with the idea of pre-assessment since that can be time-consuming and it may not always be accurate. I would agree with the idea of post assessments because it can show if students are paying attention and/or understand the information that was taught to them. It can help educators think of a better way to teach the concept if the students aren’t understanding what is going on. I liked the idea of creating two assessment folders for each study, the easy folder and the hard folder. That can help students feel more motivated to work and study. Having learning more visible can be more helpful for some students rather than others. For me I like things to be more visible because I understand better that way such as using graphic organizers and drawings. Having students draw out those visible drawings instead of writing it out can help educators get a better understanding of what the students understand about what was taught to them.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers