Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / New to the standards

Next Generation Science Standards

New to the standards

Author Post
Caitlyn Deenik Caitlyn Deenik 380 Points

Hi everyone, I am just learning about the NGSS as of this semester and I have a really difficult time putting it all together and knowing what to incorporate into my lessons! Does anybody have any tips or ways that they are able to easily navigate the standards and plan for instruction? Thanks!

Lecia Schall Lecia Schall 6120 Points

Well i just spent two and a half years learning about the standards and I am still asking that question. Obviously there have been some materials posted on the NSTA website that people have put together to help. However, what I found was going directly to the Next Gen website and using the search feature. Then when you have narrowed the PEs down to the content that you are looking for, try to match them up with curriculums that you are already familiar with. Sometimes all you need to do to modify your own lessons is to focus on the Science and Engineering practices which go along with the PE which may not have been featured in your other curriculum. Also really think about the Cross cutting concepts and tie the PE into what you have already taught. Another resource that I found was the Crosswalk that our State standards board did showing the connections between previous standards and the NGSS. Hope that helps.

Kathy Jenkins Kathy Jenkins 885 Points

Although I'm not entirely new to NGSS Standards, I too, need guidance as to where to start? What do I incorporate? How do I assess if I'm hitting the target?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers