Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Preservice Teacher Advice

New Teachers

Preservice Teacher Advice

Author Post
Bentley Buckminster Bentley Buckminster 240 Points

Through my school observations, I have noticed that science isn't explicitly taught as often as literacy, math, etc. What is some advice on how to integrate science into everyday classroom life? 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Bentley,
I often use science content as the vehicle to drive literacy in the elementary classroom. You might find this book chapter helpful:
http://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/9781933531441.4
It is titled, 'The Link Between Science, Inquiry, and Language Literacy'.
Do a 'search all resources', and you will find lots of articles and other resources to help you see ways to integrate science with reading, writing and math.
Prof. Mohr

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Bentley --

I would second the idea of having a science center or table as part of the everyday life of your classroom. Here are some suggestions for designing and using them.

If you try this, be sure to share your experiences! We can all learn from them.

Mary B.

Dong Ngo Dong Ngo 845 Points

You can easily integrate science into both math and reading lessons. Math word problems can be science related. For example, students can research facts and information about planets in the solar system and then do calculations based on that information. You can also integrate lessons about water and weather into the math lessons. The students can measure the amount of water, add/subtract those numbers, learn about density in the process, and so on. For reading, if you ever do reading passages, find one that's related to science. It can be about hurricanes, volcanoes, or other natural disasters. It could be about space. The beauty of it is that it can be either fiction or non-fiction so you have some flexibility in how to incorporate it with reading lessons (such as expository units, etc.). Just have the class exposed to some forms of science, as that's better than not having any exposure at all.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers