Forums

Forums / STEM / Challenging Our Students To Be Innovators

STEM

Challenging Our Students To Be Innovators

Author Post
Dorothy King dorothy king 2415 Points

Our middle school students seem to be curious after misbehaving instead of being curious about their education. Earlier this summer I did a Century 21 Science workshop at my school. I used activities which got the students involved in making simple things. Maybe if teachers used everyday activies we would get the students curious.

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

This is an interesting post Adah. I remember early in my teaching career a speaker shared with our group how all students begin life with all children being able to sing, dance, compose poetry, play an instrument or solve a problem given to them. It’s only over time and training students begin to lose their willingness to risk and be creative in their thinking they lose their innovativeness. They lose this because they are told they are not good at something. That was the day I vowed to try to make it students learned something new every single day in my classroom. It didn’t have to be a big “thing” though there are times it was. Often it was some little piece of something that got them hooked on wanting to know more to bring back their curiosity. Curiosity is the key to lifelong learning – just a couple of days ago I discovered and shared “Animals that lay eggs don't have belly buttons. I wonder when this tidbit will come in handy?” It's amazing the amount of interest that post generated amongst students and parents alike.

Laura Maricle Laura Maricle 1745 Points

I work to get my 5th graders excited about science. When they come into my classroom, many have had little exposure to a science lab and think of science as memorizing vocabulary words. I believe in hands on learning - what the hands do the brain remembers. I have had much success and the kids can't wait to see what new adventure awaits them. We have to make science come alive for them and not worry about the straight lines!!!

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

In the middle grades, we walk a fine line between trying to grab/hold their attention and trying to prepare the students for high school science. If the learning is focused only on learning vocabulary and/or memorizing information, students often lose interest and fail to attend to the lesson. I agree - the key is to try to use everyday activities and things that "matter to them" to gain their interest. For example, during reading time, my students are allowed to read on their e-devices. I have also noticed that my students are motivated by "prizes" or awards. So, I have been known to create challenges and to encourage students to compete while learning. For example, students had to design turbine blades to produce the greatest amount of energy - winners in each class earned "soaring eagles" (like raffle tickets). I have also had competition where students manipulate time and distance to produce the slowest speed for a marble rolling across a desk top. While competing to win, students actually did learn!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Sue, I am curious to learn more about the competition where students manipulate time and distance to produce the slowest speed for a marble rolling across a desktop. Could you provide more details? I think that might be a really fun way to begin a discussion on variables and the design process. Sandy

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Beat the Flood
In this resource pupils use their STEM skills to help them design and build a model of a flood- proof house. Activities to help them with their design include testing materials (for strength and absorbency) and structures.shopping

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

The Engineering in Nature Challenge is a learning project designed to teach students up to five engineering concepts present in the natural world.

The program will last three weeks, and students will take on up to five design challenges from the Curiosity Machine, supplemented by selected films from the ARKive collection. Each design challenge addresses a key engineering concept, and is aligned with NGSS standards.

Concepts are reinforced by imagery from ARKive films, and students will upload their designs and share them with real-world scientists who will mentor each student and their projects.

Learn more here

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers