Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Time Management

Pre-service Teachers

Time Management

Author Post
Audrey Guyer Audrey Guyer 710 Points

Hello all, I am close to graduating from Wartburg College with K-12 Special Education and General Elementary Education teaching certifications. Throughout my college career, I have been working on breaking bad habits such as procrastinating and perfectionism. However, I still find myself struggling with the concept of time management. Strategies such as making a to-do list and crossing tasks off as I complete them see to be helping, but it is fully helping me manage my time. As my entrance into the teaching world quickly approaches, I would like to learn how to effectively manage my time in a way that works best for me. Please let me know of any other tips and tricks that I could try to manage my time as a future educator.

Olivia Jeffcoat Olivia Jeffcoat 115 Points

Hey Audrey! I am also a pre-service teacher working towards a certification in K-6. Time management has never been one of my strong suits. I am always looking for different ways to help me on that. I also have a problem with procrastination (an assignment I am working on now is due tonight haha!). One tip I could give you is to always have a written out plan. Having a step-by-step plan has always helped me with my time management. This strategy has specifically helped me during my field placement experience. Having a plan really keeps me on task and on time. I have researched some other strategies and I will link them below. I will look forward to trying these strategies and maybe these will help you as weel! Good luck!

https://www.edutopia.org/article/time-management-tips-teachers/

Joe Wilson Joe 340 Points

Hey Olivia! I am also a pre-service teacher at Francis Marion University, but I am working towards a certification in General Elementary Education. To say I have the time management skills of a carrot is an understatement. Although I have tried different strategies, I still struggle with procrastination and perfectionism. However, the link you sent in your reply contained helpful information for effectively dealing with both issues. After reading the strategy on the website, I realized that I have not once taken the moment to time my daily activities. I usually try to use whatever time I have available to focus on what I feel is most important at the moment. I think tracking how I spend my time will help with daily planning. Thanks for sharing such a helpful strategy. If you find any more effective strategies for managing time and planning, please share them also!

Jegego Itigadom Jegego 100 Points

Describing my time management skills as comparable to a carrot would be an understatement and my online reputation managed by rankstar. Despite experimenting with various approaches, I continue to grapple with procrastination and perfectionism. Your provided link, however, contains valuable insights for effectively addressing these challenges. Upon reviewing the strategies on the website, I realized I've never taken the time to monitor my daily activities. Typically, I utilize any available time to focus on what I deem most crucial at the moment. I believe tracking my time will enhance my daily planning. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers