Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Inquiry-based Activities For Light Lesson (5th Grade)

Elementary Science

Inquiry-based Activities For Light Lesson (5th Grade)

Author Post
Marc Hampton Marc Hampton 1135 Points

I am currently an undergrad student taking a Science For EC-6 methods course.  One of our assignments is to create an inquiry-based lesson plan for our grade level (fifth grade).  I am leaning towards a lesson focusing on light (specific standard is to demonstrate that light travels in a straight line until it strikes an object and is reflected or travels through one medium to another and is refracted).   I am struggling to find good, inquiry-based activities that I can use for the lesson, specifically for light traveling in a straight line.  I have found some activities using notecards and shining a light through a straw to demonstrate that light does not bend, but these seem to be more “demo-ey” and not really driving inquiry.  I’m sure that I can come up with some fun reflection/refraction activities, but the light traveling in a straight line has me stumped.  If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers