Forums

Forums / STEM / Activities related to Candy! (11/03/19)

STEM

Activities related to Candy! (11/03/19)

Author Post
Vanessa Pham Vanessa Pham 2045 Points

Hello Science Educators!

My name is Vanessa Pham and I am currently a pre-service teacher studying Teaching Methods of Science. Recently in my Teaching Methods of Science class, I learned that I can open up interest in the lesson to the students by using something they can relate to, like candy. From this topic alone, we came up with several ways of graphing and classifying as a STEM connection. What other activities using STEM-based skills could I use in my own classroom based on candy?

Thank you!

Vanessa Pham

UMBC 2020 Psychology BA and Elementary Education Certification

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Chromatography of M&M dyes 

That activity was always a big hit in my classroom (when I taught face-to-face, I'm 100% online now). 

Marina Higa Marina Higa 290 Points

I totally agree! Implementing lessons with candy is always a motivator for students. It's unfortunate that the school I'm currently teaching at does not allow us to give our students candy :( Good luck!

Jennifer Dunn Jennifer Dunn 1270 Points

Hi,

When it comes to getting and keeping little ones engaged, candy definitely gives you a huge advantage. I've found tons of activities with candy online (science experiments with skittles, gummi bears, oreo moon phases, etc.) Heres one I found: https://www.sciencekiddo.com/candy-math-science/

Pinterest is a great source, of course. Have fun!

Jennifer D

John Clay John Clay 370 Points

Hi!

I absolutely love the idea of bringing into the clasroom things that are fun (like candy) to help motivate students to engage in what they are doing - whether it's an activity, experiment, or the like - I feel like any time we can incorporate things we wouldn't necessarily think about when dealing with science experiments and such, the students have more fun while they are learning, which could lead to a deeper undertanding of the topic / content. Like Jenn mentioned, Pinterest is loaded with tons of cute and fun ideas!

John

Lily Albertson Lily Albertson 530 Points

I did codon bingo with the students in my class. If they won they got candy and/or extra credit. You can also have students create things such as cladograms from candy by sorting it based on their characteristics.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers