Forums

Forums / Life Science / Creating a Garden for Students

Life Science

Creating a Garden for Students

Author Post
Megan O'Neill Megan O'Neill 3990 Points

Hey there! My name is Megan and I am currently a student studying Elementary Education, during my field experience I was entertaining the idea of bringing in a garden with the teacher I am working with. To those who have worked in a garden... what steps did you tae to creating your garden? Did you include your students in the process of where to locate the garden/ which plants grow best in different lighting conditions? Did you pick what plants to plant or have the students pick the plants? How in depth did you learn about gardening with your students before beginning the garden? And please include any other details of what you've done with your students to make your garden project succeed!  (Please include grade levels as well) 

Elise Meyer Sydney Muldrew 215 Points

Perhaps you could get a school-wide garden initiative. By doing so, the work and planning can be split between grades and is much easier to manage. I have been at schools where this is accomplished and I think it helps to build a sense of community throughout the school as a whole since all are working together to maintain the garden. You could have the different grades split the work (building, planting, watering, maintaining, etc.), or various grades could rotate jobs. Also, I think it would be important that the students have the most say possible; about how the garden is built, what plants should be used, etc. This gives students more responsibility and ownership of their garden. The schools I have seen gardens at have used their produce in lunches, and the students always seem so proud when it is announced that the green beans in their lunch that day were from the garden that they helped create and maintain. 

Lauren Smith Lauren Smith 420 Points

When I was younger I created a self contained garden. Essentially the concept is to get a jug or jar or some other similar seal able container, fill it with some soil, seeds, and water, and seal it. This will create a self contained eco system with no muss and no fuss. A quick google will reveal more detailed instructions. 

Dulce Reyes Dulce Reyes 2565 Points

Having a classroom garden is a great idea! There are so many concepts students can learn while being outside in the garden. However keeping up with it can be hard and i suggest you are very consistent with it. We planted pumpkin seeds, and lemon seeds. The plant that is growing faster is the pumpkin plant. Students enjoy watching the plants grow and I enjoy being out there with them. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers