Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Integrated NGSS Curriculum (Middle School)

Next Generation Science Standards

Integrated NGSS Curriculum (Middle School)

Author Post
Randall Shinn Randall Shinn 100 Points

Aloha!  The middle school that I currrently teach at has adopted the integrated NGSS model in replacement for our state standards.   If you have any experience with working with a school / science department in transitioning to the integrated NGSS curriculum for middle school, what advice do you have for me?  How should I approach this with the department?  What steps or process do you recommend?    Are there any resources that you could provide me that I could either watch or read upon that would help lead the science department to integrate this new standards into their curriculum?     Thanks!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Randall, if you look here: https://www.nsta.org/about/positions/ngss.aspx

you will find a position statement from NSTA about implementing NGSS. There are also teacher resources at the same url. 

I'm interested to read what others post from the middle school area. I am currently in elementary but I am moving to middle school next year so this is important to me as well.

Megan Weisman Megan Weisman 1290 Points

Hello! I am currently a student in college and I am working towards my bachelors in education. I attend school in Ohio so we have our own state standards but for my science methods class in college I had to use NGSS standards. This gave me some experience with adapting to use the NGSS standards. One website that I found extremely helpful is www.thewonderofscience.com. This website is so great because it has standards for all grades. It is simple to select middle school and then you chose whatever content you are teaching and the standard, then the website will supply you with assessments, phenomenas, anchor charts, videos, vocabulary, and learning plans that all go with a specific NGSS standard. From my experience with the website so far all the materials go with the standards fairly well. While the NGSS website should always be the first place to look at the standards, I have found this website extremely helpful when I am trying to think of engaging lesson ideas. The best part is that the website is free! This is a go to resource and I hope it was helpful!

Sincerely,

Megan

Pamela Dupre Pam Dupre 92369 Points

Megan shared a great site. The phenomena is exciting!

Allison Finkbeiner Allison Finkbeiner 1130 Points

Hello!

I am currently in college for getting my bachelor’s in education. For my science methods class, I was required to use Ohio Learning Standards, as well as NGSS. I have noticed that most of the standards go hand-in-hand, so it is a bit easier to pick and choose when planning your lessons. I have found that it is easier to first find my state standard- and then look for the NGSS. The more familiar you are with the standards, the easier it is to find what you are looking for. If you google 'Next Generation Science Standards' and then click on read, you can search through the standards. This is helpful because it already links some possible common core state standard connections. My professor also made us a large chart of all of the standards categorized by grade and discipline. This might be beneficial for you to do so you can just quickly look to compare! I hope my suggestions helped you!

Allison

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers