Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / New Teacher

Elementary Science

New Teacher

Author Post
Christy Dizonno Christy Dizonno 810 Points

Hello! My name is Christy Dizonno and I am currently studying elementary education at Dominican University. I will be doing my student teaching in the Spring of 2021. As a future teacher, I am looking for some advice on how to smoothly conduct science research and experiments in the elementary classroom. It is unfortunate that in many schools there is no science curriculum anymore to focus on reading and math. Children love science and it is my goal to create a safe and engaging environment for my students. In my current science class, I need to create a lesson plan that follows STEM guidelines. My goal is to make the lesson on earht/space science for third graders. if you have any suggestions please do not hesitate to share! Also, since we are living in such crazy times, I was wondering if there were any good strategies teachers use to teach science over zoom. Thank you in advance!

Melissa Portillo Melissa Portillo 1245 Points

Hi Christy,

I am also in the education program at Dominican!! I found this great website with strategies for teachers to engage their students via zoom. (https://hookedoninnovation.com/2020/05/13/25-strategies-to-engage-zoom/) I hope it helps! 

Luke Anderson Luke Anderson 310 Points

Christy,

Keeping students engaged in whatever curriculum you choose to utilize is so crucial to their progress in learning. I am a third year Elementary Education student at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa and base a great deal of our lessons on the Next Generation Science Standards. They are extremely innovative and progressive standards that work on student inquiry and learning more about the world around us. When it comes to conducting experiments in a smooth and safe manner, I would suggest investigating this article (https://my.wartburg.edu/ICS/icsfs/Safety_in_El_Ed.pdf?target=5db5285b-13bc-4490-9cd2-94f55a480177 ) that my classmates and I were able to dive into and learn more about for our futures as teachers. Best of luck in your future classroom!

Luke Anderson

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers