Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Future Teacher

Early Childhood

Future Teacher

Author Post
Kimberly Martinez Kimberly Martinez 100 Points

I am new to this association so bear with me. My name is Kimberly and I'm from Texas, Soon to be an educator in Fall 2020. I didn't grow up in a family full doctors or educators or college graduates but they have taught me to reach for a better life and to go for what i love. I have little experience in the field but i do have some from being hand on in college. But i have always had this question on my mind and im sure many soon to be first year teachers think ot it. So, here is my question 'How does one prepare themselves to teacher for the first time alone with out a mentor around and not make a mistake?' its what i think about after i get through the exams and that scares me of not being the teacher my students need me to be or will i natrually get the hang of it and im just nervous cause im so close. 

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

Hi Kimberly

It was scary for most of us the very first time.  And just about all of us made mistakes  (I know I did!!).  There used to be an old phrase in teaching that your first year was your learning year.  You learn and grow and you will become a wonderful teacher

Several things will help you through that time

1) Know your content Once you know the grade in which you will most likely be working, look at the state standards for that grade.  The NSTA NGSS site also has tons of information about basic topics.  Use the learning center to find ways to integrate your teachings into other content areas; which will increase the learning as well as usually increasing student engagement.

2) have back up plans in your head.  Things happen.  Materials are misplaced, fire drills occur, children don't feel well.  By knowing your content and having alternative paths, you won't be as nervous; and that helps your students to be in a learning frame of mind. 

3)  Find someone to be your own coach / mentor; someone whose advice you would trust, and ask them.  That person won't do the work for you, but will push you and and give you honest asnwers.   We all need mentors and coaches, no matter how much experience we have

Good luck!

Anne

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers