Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science and Testing

New Teachers

Science and Testing

Author Post
Morgan Simmons Morgan Simmons 3290 Points

As a college student, I realize how important science is and how previous science classes helped me before college. Why do some elementary teachers not realize the importance of science even though it's not tested?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Unlike you, many teachers were not exposed to much science when they were in school. Or they may have became bored with science because it was all textbook work. In order for a person to be interested in science, they need to experience how interesting science can actually be. This cannot be done through reading alone, they must experience it first hand. That is why teachers of primary grades need to expose students to all kinds of first hand experiences with science while students still have their natural curiosity about the world around them!

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

The role of the elementary science teacher in fostering an interest in science for their students is crucial to maintaining a strong STEM work force in the US. While not all elementary teachers have a strong background in science themselves, I was fortunate enough to have had teachers who saw my interest and helped develop my skills in science by encouraging me to pursue those interests. NSTA also offers great PD for teachers who need to improve their background knowledge and ability to teach the subject.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers