Forums

Forums / Life Science / Ideas for Teaching K-5 Life Science

Life Science

Ideas for Teaching K-5 Life Science

Author Post
Teresa Massey Teresa Massey 150 Points

Hello, I am looking for a fun sponge to introduce elemenatry students to learning about life science. Please share your ideas and also include the grade level or levels that it works best for.

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

We planted bean seeds this week in my classroom. We made dirt cups today (with the principal's permission. The students loved this.

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

My class did a fun activity with the butterfly. We used celery and put cheesewhiz in the middle. 2 long pretzels made the antennae, 2 M & M's made the eyes, and four twisted pretzels made the wings. The students loved this activity and they enjoyed the food. Also, there are no chocolate allergies in my class.

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

I had dissected all the parts of a flowering plant and the children had to piece it back together like a jigsaw. This activity highlighted the parts of the plant and then we were able to discuss the functions of the parts and adaptation. I completed this activity with K-2.

Kayla Ingle Kayla Ingle 1975 Points

I think it's a good idea to show how all life relates to each other. I think the food chain is one of the main things that students can grasp and comprehend. They are also able to relate it to their prior knowledge.

Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

When teaching the parts of the plants, you could use a pinch of moss to show how all plants don't have roots. If you put a small pinch of moss in their hand and a few drops of water, the water will be instantly sucked up by the plant. Then, ask how the plant sucked up the water if it has no roots?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers