Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / How do you create engaging science lessons?

Elementary Science

How do you create engaging science lessons?

Author Post

I am a pre-service teacher looking for ways to make science lessons fun and accessible for English Language Learners. If you have any ideas or concepts you would like to share with me please do so below. 

Julie Alexander Julie Alexander 280 Points

I have taught ELL kids in both Middle and Elementary school. Lessons for all kids should be fun and accessible- the main concern for ELL and SPED kids is language- 

Teach vocabulary in context with what you do- do not frontload- a way to turn kids off really fast!! Do an activity or lesson- for example- states of matter- have kids make a visual representation board- one of those trifold boards is a really good idea- and put examples of matter on it- liquids in a baggie- gas- a baggie filled with air- various solids and let the kids describe using their words- the baggie with liquid is squishy- etc- for transparent liquid- use clear water- I can see through it- it is transparent. ( write the word on the board behind it and mount the baggie so they can see through it) 

There is a great NSTA article called ' Making Thinking Visible' - I can't find my copy right now- go to the archive and search for it. It will be really helpful.

Use Science notebooks- have kids draw what they do- they can show understanding through their drawings- then go back and attach the language in context. 

They often get more than you realize- the language is their barrier- ( same with SPED kiddos too!) 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers