Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / School is Starting. What Is One Change Are you Making In Science Instruction?

Elementary Science

School is Starting. What Is One Change Are you Making In Science Instruction?

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

One thing I would like to do is become much more intentional about how I facilitate scientists meetings.Along with that is making sure I ask the right questions at the right time. What are you thinking about for your classroom? Kathy I am attaching a chapter from Ready Set Science about talk and argument.

Attachments

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Kathy,
How interesting to hear what others are doing differently this year! I love your idea - it fits in with the new CCSSI push for integrating 'argumentation' into the core standards.You might be interested in my Children - As Scientists Collection. It has a few Learning Center articles in it on how children can 'talk like scientists'.

I have found so many new ideas in the various discussion threads here at the Learning Center Forums. I am excited to switch out some of my older internet resources for the newer ones I have learned about. I love the NASA eClips. I am going to try some of the lesson plans under educator guides, too. I love the Engineering Design Packets that you can download. They include design worksheets and rubrics.

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Thanks for the link, Carolyn! I am working on starting a robotics team this year (requested by several boys). First.org sponsors team events. The Junior First Lego League is for grades K-3 and the First Lego League is for grades 4-8. It is a great way to incorporate engineering standards into the curriculum.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm so happy to see that you are starting the Scientists Meeting this year! I've been using this method for a few years and it is fantastic! Patty, thanks for the links to the LEGOs design teams. I can't wait to check them out! This year I want to focus on design challenges. I just read a great article from Science and Children called Elementary Design Challenges. I'm really excited to use challenges, similar to this one, in informal and classroom instruction.

Lauren Leber Lauren Leber 1165 Points

I must say that as a future teacher it is very inspiring for me to see a discussion thread such as this. I would like to add to this conversation by stating that I just read a really great article called "Attracting Student Wonderings" from the Science and Children Magazine, and this article really made me think about the benefits of student lead experiments. Students will be that much more engaged in activities that they feel are their own ideas and that are answering their own questions. I hope that all is well in your classes thus far this year.

Lauren, I want to thank you for making me look back at the goals i set early in the year. I think I need to review those plans and see what i want to do now. I am going to read Making thinking Visible again and then I will repost. Kathy

Daliz Vasquez Daliz Vasquez 1455 Points

One thing that I am working on is increasing my science content knowledge. I get so nervous to teach science but this year I have involved myself with many on-going professional development programs to increase this content knowledge. I will look at you guys as resources for me during this new adventure.

Sandra Stargell Sandra Stargell 350 Points

Thank you sharing the resources that can be used with our special needs students. I think science will offer content areas that our students can make positive gains. Science can cover many learning styles which is a good things for all students. Sandra Stargell

Daliz, We will always be here as support for you as you take on this new learning. I didn't know much about science at all after I had been teaching awhile but I wanted my students to enjoy and learn science. So I decided to start taking courses and learning some of the content. I am very glad I did because I like it more and I hope it helps my learners. There are many good people here who can help you find the quick activities, plan a unit, create a performance assessment. I love working on projects like these and I know there aare others here who do too. And don't forget the Learning center itself has many resources to help you along the way. I am glad you are sharing with us. KAthy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers