Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Sir Issac Newton

Earth and Space Science

Sir Issac Newton

Author Post
Reid Fukushima Reid Fukushima 970 Points

I really liked reviewing Newtons first and third laws. It made me realize that these concepts should be already introduced in 4th grade in order for the students to get a deeper understanding of how gravity works. Knowing that any object that is at rest will stay at rest unless an unbalanced force acts on it. I learned that the object exerts the same amount of downward force on the ground as the ground exerts with an upward force on the object. With Common Core being implemented in the next couple of years I think we will be able to learn a lot more about gravity by going deeper into concepts. It would be cool to start thinking of some cross curricular projects for the students since we will have to start doing it with common core. Also we should be looking to see what standards will be the same with HCPS III and Common Core. Which brings me to this question. When will the Common Core standards (K-5) for science and social studies be available to view? Or is there Common Core standards for K-5 in science and social studies?

Loren Nomura Loren Nomura 4055 Points

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, is kind of cool. Here's a video to help teach kids about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3TWKOVUscs You can have students replicate this demo by getting eggs, two glasses with water, and a tray. It's really fun and I did this before and they had a great time. It shows the law of inertia because the eggs have more mass (inertia) than the other small objects so it would require more force to deviate from its intended or expected path

Joy Agard Joy Agard 2190 Points

Hi Reid, I heard through another PD course that the State of Hawaii will be adopting the "Next Generation Science Standards". Although we are already preparing for the implementation of CCSS for Math, our school has not prepared for the implementation of "Next Generation Science Standards". We are in restructuring and for some reason, there is not enough concern to integrate content areas and science standards don't seem to be taken seriously unless the students at the grade level will be tested for the Science HSA (4th grade). On the other hand, I'm sure there are other teachers like us who want to implement the correct standards in lessons and would love to prepare integrated lessons. I believe we could teach our students a lot more content and more subjects if we teach by integrating content areas...especially considering our short school year! If you want to read about the "Next Generation Science Standards", here's the website address: http://www.nextgenscience.org/ I hope this helps! Aloha, Joy

Nicole Takamura Nicole Takamura 1020 Points

As I understand it Common Core only goes as far as Math and Language Arts and assumes or implies the integration of the "other" subjects. I think the state will be giving us more specifics on what content we are to be teaching in these "other" subjects. I don't think Common Core will get this specific. Good example: in Hawaii, in fourth grade, our Social Studies emphasis is in on Hawaiian Studies. However, this is not the case in any other state. I can't see Common Core making specific sets of content standards for each state since this would defeat their foundation of having "COMMON" standards, which would then leave up to each state to decide the specific content of the other areas. With that said, Science is much more universal, like language arts and math so maybe Common Core would be able to make Science Standards - though we haven't seen any yet....Hmmm.

Reid Fukushima Reid Fukushima 970 Points

Hey Nicole they have some standards for intermediate and high school. Check our grade level Dropbox. I saved it in there. For everyone else see the attached file. I saw this from another community form on this website. Hopefully it will at least help the teachers that are in intermediate or high school.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers