Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Lesson plans

Earth and Space Science

Lesson plans

Author Post
Deborah Haddad Deborah Haddad 1550 Points

Does anyone have lesson plans on sun, moon, and earth for fourth grade? I appreciate it.

Nancy Stephenson Nancy Stephenson 2085 Points

Check the next generation science standards case study 3 - excellent lesson for scale

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I think you will find this SciGuide very useful...."Earth and Sky: Grades K-4". Just put the title into the Search Engine of the Learning Center and it will bring it up for you. It has lots of resources!! There is a slight charge for this. There are also some Science Objects for Earth, Sun, and Moon that are free. Just search for "Earth, Sun, and Moon" and you will find them.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Deborah, The September 2008 issue of Science and Children is devoted to earth science lesson plans on the sun, moon and earth. You can access the titles of all 17 articles at this URL: http://www.nsta.org/publications/browse_journals.aspx?action=issue&thetype=all&id=7266 Carolyn

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Have you ever done the phases of the Moon with Oreo cookies? There are many examples of this activity that can be found online. I chose the one I am sharing the link to with you because the newyorkscienceteacher.com website is an excellent source of ideas and resources for your classroom. http://newyorkscienceteacher.com/sci/files/user-submitted/Oreo_Moon_Phases.pdf

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Check out the Moon Phases posting in this same forum for more ideas.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Deborah,
I just finished reading and reviewing an article in the September issue of Science and Children (2013) written by Page Keeley that might be useful to you. Besides being a great article to explain how to use cartoons to uncover students' misconceptions on specific concepts, she uses a cartoon about moon phases to model the process. So you have an excellent formative assessment probe to preview on moon phases. Plus you can find out how to choose your own cartoons to use as probes for other science concepts.
Formative Assessments: When is the next full moon? Using k-2 concept cartoons
Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers