Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Education Student during COVID / Teaching anxiety

Pre-service Teachers

Education Student during COVID / Teaching anxiety

Author Post
Jenitzia Alvarez Jenitzia Alvarez 500 Points

Hello! 

My name is Jenitzia Alvarez and I am an Elementary ESL Education major at UTRGV in Edinburg, Texas. I started my post-secondary schooling at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and I am expected to graduate in May of 2023! A big worry of mine is that I am not intaking the proper information needed to become an efficient educator in the near future due to the pandemic and the remote learning that occured and is still occuring. I am worried that I won't be a good enough educator for my students in the classroom and I know that being positive is of utmost importance but I still have that worry creeping up in my mind from time to time. I also understand that a lot of future educators and even educators in the classroom might feel this way from time to time since we are human beings. 

Any tips for future educators on how to decrease anxiety around the feeling of inadequacy? 

I still have about a year left until I graduate so I hope these feelings diminish in order to support my students to my fullest potential! 

Ashley Rivera Ashley Rivera 800 Points

Hello Jenitzia! I am also an Elementary ESL Education major at UTRGV! As a fellow student, I have also had similar thoughts about my studies and the future of my career. I'm sorry I can't recommend exact ways to reduce this anxiety, but I think it's important to keep in mind that, as this pandemic has affected the way we intake and provide information, it has also given a chance to learn how to adapt to different situations. In particular, the pandemic has allowed both teachers and students to find new ways of learning and interpreting information. Moreover, teachers likely feel the same stress of figuring out the best way to accommodate their students in our current situation, so it gives teachers and students a chance to work together to try to ease the process. Hope this helps! Wishing you the best!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers