Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Author Post
Michelle Mendez Michelle Mendez 710 Points

Due to COVID-19, many schools are engaging in online intrusction through virtual learning. Other schools are allowing face to face instruction but require physical distancing and sanitation practices for classrooms. Is meaningful STEM learning even possible under these constraints? What are strategies to teach STEM during virtual education and in the socially distant classroom?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Online STEM learning has been ongoing for quite a few years. As more classrooms are using digital learning environments, it is important to rely upon the foundation of SoTL and DBER research that is already available so that evidence-based practices can be put in place without having to design and teach online STEM in a vacuum. 

While individual studies have reported varying results, meta-analyses suggest 'no significant difference' in student learning outcomes between online and traditional learning environments. I myself have done research in this area within undergraduate STEM courses:

Beyond this, best practices have been explored and published in online STEM learning environments:

In short, meaningful STEM learning is absolutely possible under these constraints. I am happy to discuss my experiences at the undergraduate level. If you share your grade level, I'm sure others in this community can share evidence-based practices they are using in their synchronous, asynchronous, or hybrid STEM courses. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers