Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Safety Within The Classroom

Early Childhood

Safety Within The Classroom

Author Post
Emma Springstead Emma Springstead 240 Points

No matter what age group you are teaching, it is always important to express safety rules and drills within the classroom. You should have set time built into your lessons to go over safety procedures especially when the students are being introduced to a new chemical or anything harmful. I recommend having a safety quiz to make sure your students understand the extremities of their actions during a lab. In case you are worried students might forget the rules further down the line in the year, you can make a poster or order one with all of the rules on the poster. Students will be able to go back and review the rules on their own without causing any safety hazards.

Cristal Acevedo Cristal Acevedo 280 Points

Hello Emma, i totally agree with your post. I also think that setting up a time to built a lesson that goes over safety procedures is important. Students need to know the rules in order to have a safe classroom enviroment. Its a good idea to make a poster with all the rules and paste it in the wall. 

Taylor Gantt Taylor Gantt 870 Points

Hi Emma, As aspiring educators, it is our responsibility to inform and educate students about the significance of lab safety in science classes, where hazardous chemical experiments may be handled. I agree that it might be a good idea to incorporate an interactive activity in your classroom that emphasizes the significance of safety when working in the lab to make safety look like fun.

Ariana Rojas Ariana 170 Points

Hi Emma! As an incoming educator, I plan to stay responsible and effective in educating the students on the safety etiquette we will display in our laboratory.  As you mentioned, assigning a lab safety quiz/exam is an effective way for the students to study and learn the rules we will be applying in our laboratory. Making sure that each student is aware of the safety rules set out in the lab is staying responsible and confiding trust in the students while performing in the lab. 

Ariana Rojas Ariana 170 Points

What are the three most important safety rules to make sure we have incorporated in our classroom? Do you know of any different ways we can make sure our students are aware of these rules, are understanding of these rules, and are making sure to follow them? 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers