Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Inquiry and Treat vs. Trick or Treat

Chemistry

Inquiry and Treat vs. Trick or Treat

Author Post
Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

A thought passed through my mind as I glanced at all of that Halloween Candy on the shelves of the store (of course, I did not indulge:) There was a great webinar presented by ACS recently: “The Sweet Side of Chemistry”—Candy Resources for National Chemistry Week, the Classroom, and Beyond It was aimed at middle school but we all know that topics and content spiral (think of those peppermint sticks) and that wonderful resources can be adjusted for many educational events. With this in mind, I went to the archived collection and gathered the resources from the candy webinar. Most of them are free resources available in the Learning Center. Perhaps they will assist you in building an interesting inquiry lesson as a treat for your students on or around Halloween. The collection is attached. Let us know what you find that satisfies your 'sweet' classroom offering. Cheers, ~patty

Sweet Side of Chemistry:ACS Collection (9 items)
Cinthia Rodriguez Cinthia Rodriguez 4505 Points

Super interesting, great timing since Halloween is around the corner.

Yesenia Martinez Yesenia Martinez 3380 Points

Wow! What a webinar to miss! Thank you SO much for sharing your resources with everyone! This looks like something SUPER fun to do with the kids! Although you mentioned it might be for older kids, I can totally see myself using the Gobstoppers for elementary students! We are currently learning about gas, liquids, and solids and these candies would be a great example of a solid turning into a liquid. Plus we have touched on chemical and physical properties, which we can throw in there! Great post!!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Once upon a time I created a LC collection of Halloween chemistry. I am not sure if this link will work as I overwhelmed "my library" in the past and have been having trouble ever since. Nonetheless I thought this worth a try

Attachments

HalloweenChemistry (External Website)

Here is the archive if the ACS webinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iiAjiQwSI&list=UUUHY8yQsPhIpY53Z07o2XlQ

I decided to watch part of this video. The instructor teaches a summer class on candy chemistry. There is a nice discussion on relating the properties of candy to chemical properties. I think that there maybe some good ideas that might be developed into labs for a general chemistry class Pam

Here is a link to the ACS book (pdf) on candy science http://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/education/outreach/ncw/celebratingchemistry/ncw-2014-celebrating-chemistry-english.pdf

Katherine Jurisich Katherine Jurisich 1365 Points

Very interesting! Thanks for the resources!!

Joni Ingram Joni Ingram 1705 Points

Thanks for the resources. I had been looking on-line for something to do on Halloween in Physical Science. These are by far the best ideas yet.

Tara Cuzzart Tara Cuzzart 1055 Points

This is a great share! Its a great way to keep them learning during the holiday. I could also see that it can be modified for a younger age group. I think they would really enjoy it.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers