Forums

Forums / Life Science / Dialysis Lab -- Looking for a fake blood recipe that will work for dialysis demonstration

Life Science

Dialysis Lab -- Looking for a fake blood recipe that will work for dialysis demonstration

Author Post
Barbara Force Barbara Force 1335 Points

I recently attended an Ambitious Science Teaching PD in which teachers gave some examples of phenomena-based units. One of the units was excellent, and I want to use it in my own classroom.

It starts with an article on high school athletes and water intoxication. This is not the example she used, but it works:http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/douglas-county-high-school-f.../137532754

The students discuss how this happened for a time.

The first laboratory in this unit is much like the New York State Dialysis lab. The intent is to look at osmosis and diffusion, but she took it to a whole new level by using fake blood. Instead of using indicators and such and having these abstract ideas of 'Oh! Starch doesn't pass through the membrane!' the students actually see yellow liquid form. The kids immediately see the direct impact of osmosis and diffusion. 'THAT LOOKS LIKE PEE!!!' 

tl;dr I need a recipe for fake blood like the one the teacher used. I cannot contact the teacher. Ideally it is easy to make with chemicals from the high school chem closet or supermarket materials, looks like blood, and will look like urine when diffused through dialysis tubing. A bonus would be if the fake blood is easy to wash off and if it has a funny smell.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers