Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Teaching Force and Motion to 3rd graders

Physical Science

Teaching Force and Motion to 3rd graders

Author Post
Destiny Huggins Destiny Huggins 10040 Points

Hi everyone! I am a student teacher and I am having to teach a lesson on energy. I have seem many lessons using roller coasters and such, but many of the lessons I see span over multiple days. I am looking for a lesson and an activity that I can do in one class period as my supervisor will be observing me that day, more or less an introduction to energy. I have taken Physic and I did okay, but I am not sure on engaging ways to teach it to 3rd graders. Any advice, suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Attached is an article from Science & Children that has a couple of quick ideas that may help you. Hint: If you do the tablecloth activity be sure to pull out and down quickly - not straight out.

Attachments

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

Well if we considered force in terms of attractive forces and repelling forces, we can look at magnets. You can talk about how the same poles have the potential to cause a repelling motion. When you actually slide the same poles together, the kinetic motion is the magnets moving away from each other.

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

Well if we considered force in terms of attractive forces and repelling forces, we can look at magnets. You can talk about how the same poles have the potential to cause a repelling motion. When you actually slide the same poles together, the kinetic motion is the magnets moving away from each other.

Thank you! I will check it out :)

Thank you! I will check it out :)

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

There are several simple activities to introduce force - I have a bank of ideas that I use in lab lessons that last 30 mins. Feel free to email [email protected] and I'll shoot some lessons your way.

I am emailing you now :) Thank you for being so generous with your resources! As a student teacher I am trying to start a collection :)

Khrystina Nelson Khrystina Nelson 2635 Points

Destiny, You have created an awesome thread here that has lots of great information! I was looking to do a force and motion lesson as well and this has been a lifesaver! The quick and easy ideas from Science and Children are going to help a lot. Thanks for posting!

Leslie Hernandez Leslie 665 Points

This is such a fun, interesting topic for students. A lot of them find it fun and exciting, which helps them be motivated to learn. Everyone listed so many awesome ideas and resources to help and give suggestions. I love the community that helps each other with all their knowledge and strategies. I'll be bookmarking some of these ideas and resources that are listed!

Claudia Rex Claudia Rex 3180 Points

Wow!! This is good stuff. I am going to be doing a lesson on Force and Motion soon. I appreciate the useful information everyone has provided.

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

If you only have that amount of time: Lakeshore Learning has a roller coaster that can be built in that length of time. The most economical would be to take a piece of foam tubing and cut it down the middle. Students can then use marbles to run the track. Also teacherspayteachers has some great info on coasters and STEM with coasters.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers