Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Have you tried Newsela?

General Science and Teaching

Have you tried Newsela?

Author Post
Pamela Dupre Pam Dupre 92369 Points

It has content for fresh adaptive reads across the curriculum and across elementary, middle, and high school. It could be used to extend students' thinking to possible careers in various fields. Check it out!

https://newsela.com/articles/#/?content_maturities=Lower%20Elementary%20School&content_maturities=Upper%20Elementary%20School

Adria R Adria 930 Points

I have used articles from Newsela many times in my lessons. I find articles related to the topic that I plan on teaching my students. I end up using the articles as introduction to a new topic and for them to practice good study habits. I have my students read the article with me and have them highlight key pieces of information in the text. I like Newsela because there are so many topics that you can relate to lessons within your classroom. My students seem to find the articles interesting, so I definitely recommend this site for the classroom! Each article has multiple reading levels, so you can adjust the level based on your students levels.

Maria Salazar-Perez Maria Salazar-Perez 505 Points

I have used Newsela in my classroom over the past 3 years and I absolutely love it. The first year I began to use Newsela, I used it as a supplementary activity for early finishers. However, for the past 2 years I have incorporated it into my reading stations during my ELA period. I love using it during my centers because of the option to change the same article into different Lexile levels. This allows my different ability groups to read the same article but to read it at a level that will allow them to gain the most from it. The low group will get the information in a way that is easier for them to read and understand while the high group is able to read at a more advanced level and be exposed to higher level vocabulary and a higher-level thinking process. I definitely recommend Newsela to all teachers I come in contact with.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers