Forums

Forums / STEM / Paper Airplanes and other Flying Things in NGSS

STEM

Paper Airplanes and other Flying Things in NGSS

Author Post
Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I am considering revisiting beginning my year with my 7th/8th grade Design and Engineering class with paper airplanes and moving to “other flying things” that Bill Kuhl has shared with us over the years. The purpose of the unit would be to introduce students to the Scientific Method and the process of Engineering Design. With the new standards, it appears the unit would be meeting the criteria forMS-ETS1-1 through 1-4, (page 244). Clearly the Design Process is covered within this standard. For years I have had students use Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, and Rebuttal for these types of projects from “Supporting Grade 5 – 8 Students in Constructing Explanations in Science: The Claim, Evidence, and Reasoning Framework for Talk and Writing,” by Katherine L. McNeil and Joseph Krajcik, http://www.amazon.com/Supporting-Students-Constructing-Explanations-Science/dp/0137043457/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404502186&sr=8-1&keywords=Claim+Evidence+Reasoning As I am reading through the performance expectations, I am toying with the idea of having different groups of students building different models of paper airplanes and having them evaluate the performance of their craft to others. This would also lead them to evaluate the construction of other models to determine what factors may have contributed to its success and how they could incorporate that into their design. This would be a new twist for me and one I think students would find interesting and engaging. I have to admit, I am a little tired of seeing the same basic plane year after year. At first glance, there appears to be quite a few resources available to student both in print text and online that would accommodate finding enough models of planes. What I am not seeing is the Scientific Method anywhere in the standards. I understand it is a process, and many feel it is a contrived model of what scientists do. I get that. There is value though in students understanding the components of the method. Where in the new standards do they learn question, hypothesis, materials, variables, procedure, data and conclusions? I see lots of language that includes, “Plan an investigation …”, “Develop a model …”, “Apply scientific principles to design, construct, and test …”, “Ask questions about data …”, “Conduct and investigation and evaluate the experimental design…” What I am not seeing is where are we teaching students these skills so they can indeed do these tasks? I understand many of these skills are built into the K-5 standards, but the reality is, many of the students we see coming into seventh grade have never “done Science.” Just because the standards and performance expectations are there, does not mean they are actually taught. Nowhere in the new standards do I see a middle school standard that I can use to address this when I am having to start at the beginning. At several conferences and workshops I have heard from participants, “The Scientific Method is old school and basically dead.” Am I missing something? I am posting this in the General Science forum as well, the link is http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?a=posttopic&fid=jKQSb3PvZTQ_E

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Sandy,

I know that in K-5 I am always thinking ABC ,activity before concept. I would change that to IBC ( investigation before concept) I think students learn those skills be actually doing them. So I am thinking that if I am a middle school teacher and I am beginning with paper airplanes and flying obejects that the focus is on forces and motion as well as the engineering design. So I think the performance expectation I could be addressing is 

Plan an investigation to provide evidence that the change in an object’s motion depends on the sum of the forces on the object and the mass of the object. MS-PS2-2 Clarification Statement and Assessment Boundary 
Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on balanced (Newton’s First Law) and unbalanced forces in a system, qualitative comparisons of forces, mass and changes in motion (Newton’s Second Law), frame of reference, and specification of units. 

I think we need to teach middle school students what it means to plan an investigation to.... So I would go to the progressions of the science and engineering practices and see what planning an investigation inlcudes for middle school students and then go from there. 

When I looked it up I found this 

• Plan an investigation individually and collaboratively, and in the design: identify independent and dependent variables and controls, what tools are needed to do the gathering, how measurements will be recorded, and how many data are needed to support a claim.
  • Conduct an investigation and/or evaluate and/or revise the experimental design to produce data to serve as the basis for evidence that meet the goals of the investigation.
  • Evaluate the accuracy of various methods for collecting data.
  • Collect data to produce data to serve as the basis for evidence to answer scientific questions or test design solutions under a range of conditions.
  • Collect data about the performance of a proposed object, tool, process, or system under a range of conditions. 

I think we need to explicitly teach those skils while they are investigating and engineering. I also believe that if we start with a phenomenon and a and driving question 'How we make a paper airplane that will go the farthest distance with the least amount of force. ' m the phenomenon could be a video of a paper airplane contest and have students write down observations and questions that they might investigate . You already have your driving question the one that students need to answer to address the standard.

I think the big aha for me was that students are figuring things out without me telling them.it is uncomfortable when we have been taught to front load everything. When I talk about the new standards, I describe it as a land of opportunity for the students.

The biggest difference for me is that the scientifc method felt like it was lock step, doing one thing after another. We know scientists don't work that way they move back and forth as they grapple with problems. Engaging science and engneering practices is a much more iterative and  much closer to the way science actually happens. So anyway, long story short, the students learn those skills by doing them, making observations, asking questions, making predictions ,etc.

Sorry for the long winded response my friend

Kathy

Eric Proctor 180 Points

I like your engineering idea. I work for a wildlife agency and we have been toying around this idea for a bit. Some things to consider as you develop it in the future: 1) the wright brothers journals reference their observations of buzzards during the development of their airplanes. You could potentially use these primary source documents to bring in some Common Core and literacy, as well. 2) following up on the idea of what we can learn from animals, there may be value in having the students study bird wings and flight to help in their plane design. For example, some raptors (like the Cooper's Hawk) has shorter and rounder wings. This helps with maneuverability as they hunt other birds on the fly. Compare this to vultures that have longer broader wings that help with long term soaring. There are lots of other examples available as well.

Eric, I love the idea of my students studying bird wings and flight to help them in the design of their planes. Do you know of any resources out of your experience that would be useful in providing this type of information? I know we could do a Google/Bing search, but am curious if you have some websites or resources already in mind.

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

I really like this idea! I try to begin each school year with a fun, safe and educational activity, in which we can learn lab safety and the scientific process. Last year my students completed the tallest tower contest using three sheets of paper. I want to try to incorporate measuring skills too this year. So perhaps something with the students creating a diagram of their design drawn to scale using ratios. This will be a great opportunity to discuss lab safety too, as students will be required to work safely while flying their trial runs. I am also considering limiting student groups to only one or two pieces of paper, to encourage the students to consider their design prior to building it. Finally, I especially like the idea of introducing Claims, Evidence and Reasoning (CER) through this project. Thanks for sharing! Great ideas!

Sue, I never thought of limiting them to two pieces of paper. That would cause them to really think through the process before just jumping in and building. Given your suggestion, I am toying with the students creating a procedure poster to go along with their final design so they have to get used to actually writing and diagramming their work in a manner another group could follow. On this poster, I think I am going to have them fold a half size version of their plane utilizing sharp creases, then unfold it and glue it to the side of their poster. If the creases are sharp enough, it would provide a visual clue as to the folds used. After they have created their plane, I want them to get out their phones and create a video showing step by step how they created the plane. They will then download this video, create a QR code and place it on the bottom right hand side of the poster. This code can then be accessed by others to build their own version of their planes. The expectation is they will use correct mathematical vocabulary when identifying their folds as well as precise measurements and sharp folds. Clear, precise writing is important to me, so will have the students create the plane from another group, most likely a different class period. On the back of the poster, I am going to have them glue an envelope. Each plane needs to be tested by at least five other groups. The final product of these groups will be placed in the envelopes with their names and period number. Each group that tested their plane will write feedback on the procedure, particularly where they got stuck and how the wording could have been more useful. Once the posters are returned to the originating groups, they will remove the planes from the envelope and evaluate how well other groups were able to replicate their plane Test groups will only be allowed to access the QR code after they completed the plane and after they have provided initial feedback. Once they viewed the QR code, they can add to their feedback based on the video. By adding these components, I have added technology using video and QR code creation, as well as built in informal assessment opportunities through peer feedback. Students will also be meeting CCSS in writing and math.

Ashley Ericson Ashley Ericson 1110 Points

I love this idea! There is such great potential for students to create, understand how and why things the different aspects of the plane are necessary, and then improve on their ideas using new learning. It is hard to move away from the scientific method when it has been such a staple for many years in education, but as many people also contributed, it is not nearly as realistic as we make it out to be. Providing students with the skillset to explore through the scientific practices is the best method we can give them! Fantastic idea, and great integration of technology.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers