Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Astronaut (in the future)

Early Childhood

Astronaut (in the future)

Author Post
Alexandra Ulsher Alexandra Ulsher 840 Points

I nanny a 6 year old boy with ADHD and an IQ of 120. He wants to be an astronaut. Any suggestions on activities, knowledge, and other resources for him? We are going to be learning all summer and I would love to give him the best experience ever!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I would look into purchasing some hydraulic engineering kits that he can build with his hands. Search for Little Bits which are electronic bits that he can create his own cool contraptions with and their website has many ideas to choose from. I think he might like some of the new books for children geared toward building, problem solving, and creating. Iggy Peck Architect, Ada Twist Scientist, Violet the Pilot, and there are more that can be found on Amazon.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Do a Google search for "astronauts NASA" and you will find a lot of ideas.

Erin Phelan Erin Phelan 200 Points

There is a fun documentary that was made after Scott Kelly came back to Earth from being in space for a year. It details both his time at the ISS and back on Earth afterwards. The episodes are fairly short, so it may be a fun activity to watch them together! There are also new posters that can be found on NASA's website to encourage students to start dreaming about going to Mars one day (as they are saying that the current 4th graders will be the first people that will be going to Mars), so that could be a great way to excite him and keep him motivated!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers