Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Three-Dimensional Leaning

Next Generation Science Standards

Three-Dimensional Leaning

Author Post
Kimberly Farber Kimberly Farber 4515 Points

Hi! My name is Kimberly Farber, and I am a senior at Henderson State University studying middle-level math and science education. Can any teachers share what has been the biggest struggle with implementing three-dimensional learning? Is there anything that you or your students have struggled with explicitly? Thanks!

Nicole Simmons Nicole 775 Points

I think that the biggest struggle with 3-dimensional learning is the lack of understanding how to do this combined with the lack of effective/efficient curriculum that incorporates this with integrity. Often times, the integration of all 3 three dimensions seems to used as an after thought. For example, you teach a lesson on states of matter and then later make a connection with an exit ticket of what the cause and effect relationship is and summarizing the lesson with an argument to support a claim using evidence. I think that it can certainly be done like this, but it comes off as disjointed; whereas it should be interwoven througout the lesson. In my opionion that is the biggest struggle with implementation. 

Christopher Like Christopher Like 340 Points

Kimbery,

I would say that another struggle we have had with 3D learning is assessment. Assessment HAS to look different in a 3D classroom. Pencil-paper multiple choice tests need to be replaced with authentic, performance based, embedded assessments that drive learning. This is hard for a lot of teachers that feel pressure from state standardized tests that don't mirror what a good NGSS assessment should look like. 

Hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers