Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Bilingual Education and Science

Elementary Science

Bilingual Education and Science

Author Post
Lizette Torres Lizette Torres 105 Points

Hi my name is Lizette Torres I am a future educator that is fully concentrated in bilingual education. Science is a very complex and intresting subject therephore I would want to know how in a Elementary Bilingual classroom I can make science meaningful for my students.  What activities or lessons can I include in my classroom to teach my students Science as well as increasing their knowledge of English. 

Robert Delgado Robert Delgado 65 Points

Hi Lizette, many of the activities in science work just as well in a bilingual setting with some considerations to make the language demand more accessible. What grade level do you teach at and do you teach science in sapnish or english?

Alexandra Gomez Alexandra Gomez 405 Points

Hi Lizette, I am also a future educator currently getting my degree in Elementary Education. I am from Miami so I think this question is very important. I personally would say, science is an amazing subject to get English language learners more acquainted with not only the english language but with actual science concepts. I think some great activities for science and ELL students would be anything hands-on, as well as visuals. I think if students can see it or touch it they can begin to make connections to the science concepts and the names for them in English. I think in having experiements with stations and groups would help these students become more comfortable with the science concepts as well as more comfortbale in asking their peer for a little bit more help or clarification on anything they may not understand. And within those stations, as the teacher you can have directions with pictures to again help those ELL students and really all the students make connections to the names of things in English and the science concepts at hand.

I hope this is helpful!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers