Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / First Days of School Project for STEM

General Science and Teaching

First Days of School Project for STEM

Author Post
David Boze David Boze 220 Points

I teach STEM as well as science. I am searching for first day (s) of school quick projects that may take a class period or two to do. It needs to be a hands on building project that will get the students moving and motivating to taking the STEM elective. For example I am planning a paper air rocket activity for 7th grade the first 2 days of school. I am looking for another fun, science and STEM related project for the 8th grade classes. Any leads or ideas? Thank you!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi David,
How about marshmallow catapults? I am linking a Discovery Education website about them. We have a whole discussion thread about catapults, too, that will give you some great ideas.

Thanks Carolyn! This is a great idea! Kids would have fun with this and learn about the physics portion of this assignment. A win-win, for sure.

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Check out the forum Physical Science: Hovercraft and Other Things That Move thread, http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=1KRO9y6dsaA_E#10052 . I was looking for fun and engaging STEM projects to end the year with, and several suggestions and resources were given. I tried a lot of them and the kids were ecstatic.

Thanks Sandy! I perused the website...lots to offer. Sure I'll find ideas that will get my students enthused about STEM. I am considering having my students build a catapult. One I have built and tried is ok but only launches small items about 4 to 6 feet. Suppose I could use a target instead of distance for a challenge with the small catapult. Did you have kids build catapults?

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

great resource Sandy! I use this toy to introduce the engineering design process to my elementary students: Climbing Bear

The website he comes from is all sorts of funky and in my experience not everything works well - but there are so many great ideas here! http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/

Caryn, Thanks for the ideas and the website. Great site and very helpful, too!

Kathy Sparrow Kathy Sparrow 47692 Points

David, I use an inquiry activity during the first class in my pre-service elementary science methods course. Each small group of students receive certain materials (from which to select) (e.g., note care, drinking straw, life savers, etc.) to build a vehicle that can travel across the table without (the students) touching it. It’s engaging and it enables the individuals to work together. I’ve also used this activity with high school students and in teacher workshops. I use a version of the attached activity. Another good website that you might want to look at is http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/ Caryn—thank you for the science toy maker website. It looks like it will be a great resource. Kathy

Attachments

Thank you Kathy. I'll certainly use this wind car activity! The kids will enjoy it and since they are in grades 7-9, the challenges that follow the initial activity will keep interest strong.

Thanks for the great project info Kathy!
This just came through on the NSTA Express e-newsletter. I love this little email push from NSTA!

From the NSTA Calendar: A STEM Project for Middle School Students

Teach your students about the planning and design process by entering them in the School of the Future Design Competition. Sponsored by the Council of Educational Facility Planners International, the contest challenges middle school student teams to design their schools to conserve resources, be environmentally responsive, enhance learning, and involve the surrounding community. Your students’ projects will engage them in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), as well as language arts, art, history, and geography. After competing at several levels, finalists will receive a trip to Washington, D.C., in April 2012 to present their projects to the national jury. Winning schools will receive cash prizes.

To spark students’ creativity and develop their skills, teachers can use the award-winning School of the Future Design Competition curriculum and outlined lesson plans. To learn more and register your students (deadline September 12), consult the competition website.

Not a middle school teacher? Check the NSTA Calendar for programs and events for preschool through college levels.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Thread Posters,

Thanks for the all of the great resources! Another great stem resource is the I-STEM Network. It's a fantastic source for STEM activities and lesson plans.

Maureen

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

How is this for a STEM project. Create the School of the Future.

Check this out.
School of the Future Contest

Thank you to Caryn. A project I am going to use with my Design and Engineering students early this year is the creation of putt putt boats. The website I got my instructions from was http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/index.htm. The video is useful, though there are some steps that are not as clear as I would like for them to be. There are ideas on the page I am going to spend some time modifying, but overall, think my middle school students will enjoy this project.

Sandy - I'm reposting the link to the Putt-Putt boats because it didn't work for me from the post and I just love this project. OK - I'm going to make them with my 5th graders - we don't get together until the beginning of October. I'm curious to see the differences in what they can do and understand compared to your middle school students who have been lucky enough to have you!

Putt Putt Boats Link

Caryn just shared an awesome website with me, Toys From Trash, http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/toys.html....

So many great ideas! What is exciting is how many of these are projects I’ve done before but in a new and different way. I personally can’t wait to try out the Motor without a Magnet. If I have the students build both, one with the magnet and one without, that should generate a whole lot of speculation and discussion of why they work.

Pa Stem PA STEM 50 Points

I have had great success with NASA's After School Universe. You may also look for STEM activities on the How To Smile (dot) org site. John

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Thank you, John, for the How to Smile website. I had never heard of it before. It has gobs of great lessons and ideas.

Pa Stem Pa Stem 50 Points

Hi Carol, I have also Been able to get some great information and network will fellow professionals on LinkedIn's Alliance for STEM Education group. John

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers