Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Have you ever learned from a student teacher?

New Teachers

Have you ever learned from a student teacher?

Author Post
Ryan Cully Ryan Cully 363 Points

This question is specifically for teachers who have had student teachers under their wing. Have you ever been challenged by them and the methods they bring to the classroom that may have differed from yours? Have students ever favored your student teacher over you? How did you react?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Omg! Yes! I always learn new technology tricks and just seeing a fresh approach from a brand new teacher is exciting. When I work with student teachers, they remind me of the passion that we all possess in order to be in the field of education. I usually give my student teacher a lesson that I am tired of doing and give them free reign to be creative with it and it is always much more exciting!

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Ryan,

On a few occasions I did learn some new activities or labs which I would gladly discuss with the student teacher and look at employing myself.   I think because I dedicated myself to keeping current to new ways of teaching and tried many techniques throughout my career there weren’t really too many times that a student teacher came up with a completely new way to teach something.  In fact, many student teachers start in a teacher-centered manner, much in way they themselves had been subjected! Hence the axiom, “You teach as you were taught.” It took me a few years before I could let go of a class and switch to more student-centered approaches.  I also happened to have worked in the computer industry and had considerable technology experience prior to teaching - so I was somewhat ahead of most teachers in that regard.  For many years I taught more technology courses than science.  

It was quite a blow to my ego when the students preferred my student teacher and moaned when I took over the class again! I would brush it off, justifying it as their attraction to someone younger (and better looking).  If I only had to teach for 5 weeks with a reduced workload I could be a rock star, too, I told myself.  However, I just had to face up to the fact that they were better than me and that there will always be teachers better than me.  And that’s a good thing for everyone.  If teachers don’t improve then our education doesn’t move forward.  And that means that we stop progressing as a species.

Hope this helps!

- Gabe Kraljevic

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers