Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / classroom engagement

General Science and Teaching

classroom engagement

Author Post
Esmeralda Delgado Esmeralda Delgado 305 Points

How can you make students be more engage in the science classroom while doing an experiment? 

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hello! I think there are so many ways you can go about this question, but I think including experiments that involve student's interest is the best way to go! In the beginning of the school year, maybe have students fill out a slip stating experiments they would like to do throughout the year. By doing that, you are including student's ideas, and creating new ones for yourself! In my field experience, the students were creating a science experiment in groups, and the teacher let them pick their own experiments. A lot of the students seemed to be interested in lava lamps. I hope this helps!

Keli Potter Keli Potter 865 Points

Esmeralda, 

This is a very fair question. As a preservice teacher at Wartburg College, I think engagement grows in students by connecting content to their interests. Allowing students to perform hands-on and interesting labs will be beneficial to student retention as well. Labs can be tedious and confusing for many students, but encouraging students to ask questions, providing interesting connections, and showing genuine excitement for the activity is vital. With secondary education, I plan to always show a connection between the processes they are performing to how it is used in the 'real' world. With genetics, for example, you could show how DNA is altered with GMOs, inbreeding mutations, or fingerprint sampling. Showing current discoveries that involve academic content will also increase engagement. Science has countless influences on how the world works, but making sure the connection is relevant to student interests will always be the most beneficial. Although labs can be tedious, the teacher's mood sets the tone for students. Reflecting on my own experience, I remember lessons taught by teachers who showed excitement and genuine interest in the content compared to teachers with little personality. Labs should be a positive experience for students to learn through discovery, and cooperation with peers can benefit this process. Working with partners can enhance a student's ability to work through problems and aid in developing vital cooperation skills for their future careers. For these reasons, I believe incorporating meaningful connections, showing excitement, and peer cooperation can increase student engagement.

Thank you for your question, 

Keli Potter

Wartburg 24'

Amber Banning Amber Banning 20 Points

Hi there! 

I love this question and truly believe classroom engagement is what truly makes the difference between students 'learning about science' and students 'experiencing science'. I think one strategy that allow students to do this is project based learning! I think allowing students to find agency in their work and taking ownership in what they are doing. I am a firm believer that the ones who are doing are the ones who are learning! I think for myself, I had to let go of the mindset that 'If I'm not teaching it to the students, they aren't learning it'. Through project based learning, I have found that students are not only learning more than they would traditionally, but they are so incredibly engaged and invested in their work! Last spring, I had students build roller coasters for our 'Energy & Forces' unit and my students work quality and test scores were better than they had been all year. Students were invested in their work and were smiling, laughing and deeply thinking on their design. We encorporated the design and engineering method as well which really allowed students to shine! I think engagement for students come when we allow students to take charge of their learning and center student learning about topics that are meaningful for them. Love your question and I wish you the best! 

-Amber Banning 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers