Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Why Don't WeTeach About Nanotechnology?

Chemistry

Why Don't WeTeach About Nanotechnology?

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

There is a lot of good information being shared in the Life Science Discussion forum about Nanotechnology, too. It will be interesting to see how the discussion and resources shared here will differ with when viewed from a physical science frame. Thanks for starting this thread, Adah.
Carolyn

Karim Moghrabi Karim Moghrabi 610 Points

Greetings Ms. Stock, It will be very interesting to embark on this concept and how it relates to Sceince topics and especially how it relates to Student's life. I will be researching this subject. Many Thanks MOGHRABI

Linda Edmonds Linda Edmonds 55 Points

Nanotechnology is not part of our curriculum but I do include it in an end of the year unit that I teach on Math Applications and Use of the Graphing Calculator in preparation for my students leaving a General Physical Science Foundations course closely aligned to our State Frameworks and also to our State high stakes exam - CAPT. I have also had the pleasure of having a Materials Science Engineering student in my class once a week this year to work with my students. He has helped them to understand some information on Nanotechnology.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Adah, Thank you fro opening this thread. Many middle schools in VA as well as high schools take the time to teach nanotechnology; there were great teacher PD courses offered in Chicago 5-7 years ago which provided background material, references, and teaching materials. The Learning Center also has great resources. I will cite one here and then post a collection as well. This is the review of this resoruce: note the standards correlations Goal 3 of the National Science Education Standards (NSES) calls for students to “engage intelligently in public discourse and debate about matters of scientific and technological concern” (NRC 1996, p. 13). The unit described in this chapter, “Clean—At What Cost?” focuses on addressing this goal through a series of activities that allow students to develop an understanding about the use of nanotechnology that has potentially direct effects on their lives. The unit was developed for middle and high school students for integration into the science curriculum at a variety of possible locations (such as in lessons on microbiology, properties of matter, or impact of science and technology

To piggy back on Adah's 'socks that don't stink' we might enjoy reviewing this NSTA resource - and it is free! Check out this Nanotech, Inc book chapter :) 'Socks that don’t stink, graffiti-resistant paint, windows and sunscreen that reject UV rays… that’s nanotechnology. Students will learn about some of the latest inventions using nanotechnology by exploring actual products of nanotechnology research. '

Attachments

Nanotech, Inc. (Book Chapter)

This NSTA free resource lists some web items for consideration Nanotechnology is quickly beginning to revolutionize medicine, building materials, electronics, and even the clothes we wear. The internet offers a plethora of information, images, and interactive simulations dealing with the world at a nanoscale level. Teachers can easily incorporate these web resources into units on the nature of matter. Some of the available resources and corresponding activities are presented in this article.

Attachments

O.K. I'm getting carried away here but there are 38 great LC resources on nanotechnology. I invite everyone to do a search by going to your home page and clicking on 'Advanced Search' followed by the key word nanotechnology. If you do not apply any filters, you should receive 38 resources to examine for possible background material and resources for lessons and activities. There are book chapters, journal articles, web seminar archives, and podcast archives. And available to All :) If something catches your eye, please take a moment and write a few words for a review. You can be a great mentor to others. Don't be shy, now. Yes - here's the reference for this post The Center for Nanoscale Chemical-Electrical-Mechanical Manufacturing Systems (Nano-CEMMS) at the University of Illinois, in collaboration with local Champaign-area teachers, has developed classroom activities designed to introduce nanotechnology to secondary students. This article describes a quick, simple, and safe classroom activity in which students make silver nanoparticles and design experiments to test their effectiveness.

Attachments

Hi Linda, You are so fourntunate to have someone in your classroom to enahance the understanding of nanotechnology for your students. Is this person shadowning you for research purposes in education or is his presence part of a professional sharing program? What types of activities do your students do? I have stepped out of the classroom but work with teachers and would love to share your ideas. Here is a collection of free resources available for you to consider and to share, too. ~patty

Nanotechnology Collection (26 items)
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Susan and thread participants,
Susan asks,'I have not had time to read the chapters listed. Are there ideas related to making models within the resources?'
I recently completed a review of an article that may be of interest to you, Susan. This is such a great topic to explore. The author provided some hands-on, student-made examples of ways to make tiny microscopic items larger and easier to see (and thus understand). The author searched out ways to make biology more meaningful for a blind student in her class. Of course she discovered that ALL of her students benefited from the use of 3-D models.
The article title is: 3-D Teaching Models for All
Carolyn

Carolyn, thanks for bringing this resource to our attention. Susan and others may also glean ideas for modeling nanoscale with this resource which begins the scaling with the student as a factor in the modeling. Conceptualizing NanoscaleType: Journal Article Days Remaining: Unlimited Grade: High School Summary: One strategy for enhancing students’ understanding of nanoscale is to shift students’ existing understandings of relative scale by helping them conceptually transport their strongest scale benchmark—themselves—into the nanoscale world. This article describes...

Attachments

Conceptualizing Nanoscale (Journal Article)

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hello Thread Readers,

I know that this has been mentioned in another forum, but it is a great resource that deserves another shout-out. This year PBS produced a series about Materials Science. It is called Making Stuff. The episode Making Stuff Smaller deals solely with nanotechnology. I showed it to my chemistry classes earlier this year. It is absolutely amazing what scientists are currently doing with nanotechnology. What they have envisioned for the future boggles the mind! Students have a very hard time conceptualizing how small much of this technology is. Making Stuff Smaller does a fabulous job explaining how small a nanometer is. As my students were watching the episode, you could see light bulbs coming on all around the room as they finally made the connection.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I have put together a small collection of nanotechnology resources that might be useful in developing lessons

Nanotechnology Collection (17 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

I agree with much of what has already been stated in this thread - the concepts are very abstract and the models are difficult for students to comprehend - or at least the scale of the science. I used materials to teach a nano-science science enrichment course through the University of IL, and while the materials and lessons are very well prepared, there was not enough inquiry to thoroughly engage my students. I also tried using some of the lessons from the books mentioned in this thread, but the math was just a little too complicated for my middle school students. So, at least for me, I am not teaching nano science because I have not found an strong inquiry based lesson developed at a level my students can comprehend. ...I am still looking though. :-)

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Just a thought....if you teach about any chemistry reactions or atomic theory, you are teaching about a process that occurs at the nanoscopic level.

I purchased the NSTA book "Nanoscale Science: Activities for grades 6-12. There are some wonderful activities that I am working to modify for different grade levels. The first activity "That's Huge" can be used to give students a perspective on large number and differentiated into an high school or college level activity involving dimensional analysis.

Laura Jones Laura Jones 9735 Points

I cannot wait to try some of these things. I think that it will be especially fun with my elementary girls, as they still have the imagination to explore this. Thank yo uall so much!

Lorrie Armfield Lorrie Armfield 51438 Points

Please keep the ideas coming... I, for one, am very appreciative of the plethora of resources and suggestions provided in this forum.

I used several NSTA resources to put together the attached lesson on measurement. I would love feedback. We are testing it with a group of students next week

Attachments

Vincent Lowery Vincent Lowery 2750 Points

OK, I don't really know much about nanotechnology. I realize that it will play an important role in the future. I understand that there are tremendous potential benefits, but I find that I have been a little worried about potential misuses of the technology. Anyway, I appreciate this thread because it has sparked my desire to learn more about the topic. I did do an advanced search for nanotechnology and found 47 items. As I read through some of the articles, I am sure that I will get a much clearer picture of nanotechnology and its role in our society and thus put myself in a better position to help inform and guide my students about this important subject. Thanks for all of your input.

Vincent, Be sure to check out the resources posted earlier in this forum. I think you will find them very useful.

The European Commission has put together a resources on nanotechnologies for educators Nanotechnologies Principles, Applications, Implications and Hands-on Activities. It is free to download here http://ec.europa.eu/research/industrial_technologies/pdf/nano-hands-on-activities_en.pdf

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Pam, Thanks for sharing this great resource!! I am developing a nanotechnology unit and this is a great addition.

I just returned from the MNT Nanotechnology in education conference. One of the projects discussed was providing educational resources in Spanish The NISE network is starting to translate their materials. Based on input from NISE Network partners, we have adapted our most popular programs for Spanish-speaking audiences! Follow the links below to explore Spanish versions of several NISE Network public programs, as well as other selected resources. We have placed the highest priority on translating products that directly serve public audiences. Professional resources, such as instructional materials and educator’s guides are only available in English at this time. http://www.nisenet.org/catalog/spanish

The NISE Net is a national community of researchers and informal science educators dedicated to fostering public awareness, engagement, and understanding of nanoscale science, engineering, and technology. http://www.nisenet.org/ The NISE community is organized around seven regional hubs that help museum educators and researchers connect with each other and provide support to institutions in their region. http://www.nisenet.org/community

The Nanotechnology Applications and Career Knowledge (NACK) Network is the NSF National ATE Center for Nanotechnology Workforce Development. Through resource sharing, providing course materials, and stressing broad student preparation, we will help create and sustain economically viable nanotechnology education across the U.S. You will find lesson plans online webinars and other resources for teaching nanotechnoogy http://nano4me.org/index.php

maysa abdallah maysa abdallah 35 Points

[b]hallo every body , i need to plan or steps how to make reacerch [b]in nano-technology for student and what about the [/b]practical part in the search

Maysa There are numerous links in this thread that can help you. If after looking at these links you still are not finding what you need, please be a bit more specific regarding age and topic. What grade do you teach? Are you looking for chemistry, biology, ...? Thanks Pam

Anyone interested in learning about nanotechnology please read and follow this Dear Educators, Thank you for your interest in hosting a Nano-Link Educator Workshop. These workshops are around 8 hours total in duration and provide the opportunity for educators to learn our modularized activities – by doing them. They can be spread over 2 days or be completed in 1 day. The activities and modules correlate well with secondary and post-secondary traditional science and math content as well as emerging technologies such as nanoscience and photonics. We have time available the weeks of August 5th and 12th and would welcome the chance to come to your area and provide educators with the training to use the Nano-Link Modules. Please contact Billie Copley ( [email protected] ) to let us know if the August time frame would work for you. Or if another date is better – let us know that too! We are also planning our fall workshops. Remember – all you need to do is find a location and provide a minimum of 10 educators (high school and college preferred – but all are welcome). We provide training, handouts, materials, meals and travel stipends if needed. Continuing Education Credits are also available. Remember – there is good information at the Nano-Link website (www.nano-link.org). Look for the Nano Infusion Project. Thanks again for your interest – hope to see you soon. Deb Newberry Director/PI Nano-Link Regional Center for Nanotechnology Education Please use my name in contacting Billie

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers