Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Articles

Elementary Science

Articles

Author Post
Lauren Hayward Lauren Hayward 165 Points

In this article there were two activities that were presented to show what science means. Having students observe their surroundings can help them get a better understanding of what is going on. One activity was the Mystery Tube Activity. Having students make drawings of what they think is going on in the mystery tube can help them really think it out and come up with ideas. Even if they come up with the same answer, they all have different drawings that make it unique. The second activity was the Fish Activities. Students had to draw what they saw in the fish bowl. Allowing the students to work together and share their ideas with each other can help them learn how scientists in the real world work together. I can apply these concepts in my classroom in various ways. It can help me see what the students are thinking when it comes to that topic and see if they understand it. It can also help the students learn how to work together and come up with a “solution”.

Constructivism is an important learning theory that educators can use to help their students learn more. It is an active process of learning. It is based on their own understanding rather than learning. There are three types of constructivism. One type is Cognitive Constructivism which is the knowledge that learners have already from the past. It is a part of their cognitive development. One way I can apply this in my classroom is by providing information for the students to help them understand better. Another type is Social Constructivism, this is the knowledge from social interactions with others. I can apply this in my classroom by allowing students to interact with each other, like group work. The last type is Radical Constructivism, this is the knowledge from experiences and interactions with the world. I can apply this in my classroom by allowing students to question things and be curious. A constructivist classroom is different from a traditional classroom in its own ways. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers