Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Elementary Science links

Elementary Science

Elementary Science links

Author Post
Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I came across this list of resources for elementary science and thought that I would pass it on http://www.ocean.edu/academics/programs_of_study/engineering/COMETS_initiative_links.htm

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Pam,
That was a great find! Thanks for sharing. Here's another one that contains some great video clips and resources for teaching about our planetary explorations
Did you know there was a governmental agency called The US General Services Administration? They have a kids' site with a branch just for science at Kidsgov(science). It is sectioned off into three groups- K-5, Teens, and Adults. I think it is trying to be a linking site to other governmental educationsl sites but must be a 'work in progress'. It's worth a look, though.
Neok-12 is a storehouse of links on several topics. I checked out the water link and found it very useful for enhancing one's lessons on the water cycle.
One more - great one for learning about other science sites for kids:
KidSites.com
It lists such great sites as BrainPop, Infrared Zoo, and How Stuff Works, that most of us have visited; it also had several sites I was not familiar with like Greatest Engineering Achievements of the 20th Century and Inner Body.
Carolyn

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

Thanks Pam for starting this thread! There are so many sites I've never heard of on these lists!

I'll add this one for newyorkscienceteacher.com -- some of the links are old but its really the navigation bar on the left side of the page that I find very worthwhile - especially the science movie worksheet pages!

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Thanks to everyone for posting so many fantastic links. With so many outstanding teaching resources available on the internet, does anyone have a good system for organizing and accessing the information you find on various websites? In the past, I've saved the pages in my bookmarks categorized by subject area. Recently, I've started uploading the urls to my NSTA Learning Center library and then adding the website to my collections. I'm curious to learn about other ideas for organizing all of this great information so you can quickly and easily find it when you are lesson planning. Maureen

Nahomy Rojas Nahomy Rojas 2670 Points

Hi Pam. Thanks so much for starting this post! I was looking up links for video clips to be able to show in class and I stumbled across BBC- Schools Science Clips http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/scienceclips/index_flash.shtml. There are many interactive games for the students and they are divided by age group.

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

Nahomy - thank you for posting the link to BBC - what amazing videos! Do you use these videos in class or at home (flipped classroom)?

Nahomy Rojas Nahomy Rojas 2670 Points

Hi Caryn. I am currently taking education classes at UMBC so I haven't started teaching yet, but I thought this link would be helpful for those who are teaching now! I think that by using interactive sites like this one the students would be more engaged and have fun learning. What I like about the site is that each subject starts off with an activity that scaffolds by having the students complete different tasks on different objects and asks questions along the way. The students are able to work on making observations, collecting data and coming up with their own questions. These activities are followed by a quiz based on the activity.

Melody Shaw Melody Shaw 4880 Points

Great link thank you for sharing!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers