Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Teachers: Breathing New Life Into Elementary Science Preservice Teacher Education

Elementary Science

Teaching Teachers: Breathing New Life Into Elementary Science Preservice Teacher Education

Author Post
Jennifer Cuenca Jennifer Cuenca 1425 Points

This was a fascinating article to read since there are elementary teachers out there learning on preparing themselves before teaching science. They come up with intriguing techniques such as asking questions that lead to the introduction of science (What is Science?). Following up with resources relating to the grade level and subject may seem complex for the teacher to bring to the student, but according to the article, they both become knowledgeable and feel that they are able to go broad with the subject. There is also the 5E lesson format (a sequence that stands for engage, explore, explain, extend, and evaluate), a teaching tool that works for mostly everyone, but there are ways to make sure the goal of keeping students on track of understanding is in progress. From teaching a classroom to making memories on a fieldtrip are main ways to keep the students enagaged in the subject of science

Cassidy Harrington Cassidy Harrington 30 Points

Hi Jennifer!

My name is Cassidy Harrington and I am a fourth year pre-service teacher at Wartburg College in Iowa. In many of my classes, we have actually been talking about asking students questions to elicit more brain learning and critical thinking on their end. I think that this is a fantastic way to get science rolling in the classroom, especially since some classrooms do not use science at all. I think that this article would be very interesting to read if you could take the time to insert it into this comment thread because keeping students engaged is a huge part of learning.  

Cassidy Harrington

Wartburg College '19

Pre-Service Teacher 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers