Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Gardening in Miami

Early Childhood

Gardening in Miami

Author Post
Windy Smith Windy Smith 340 Points

My name is Windy Smith and I help a garden program at my school. We have an all organic garden, so we can not use sprays or any type of chemicals on the garden. This year, I have a lot of ants. I need a suggestion on how to get the ants to walk away from the garden. Thanks!! windy

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Windy, I could not find anything in the Learning Center to help with the ant problem, but I did an internet search on "getting rid of ants in an organic garden" and it brought up several excellent resources. The ideas give some excellent science background about why the ants are repelled or killed. I hope this helps you.

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

That seem very complicated on how to get rid of the ants. I'm pretty sure that water never works on them.

Belita Bowen Belita Bowen 275 Points

I know that if you use dish washing liquid and water and spray the ants that will kill them (I know its bad) and it will also kill the trail they follow which will prevent other ants from coming. If you add a little lemon or orange peel that will also help a ton. Also if you add ground cinnamon around the garden it will prevent any outside ants from coming in, The ground cinnamon acts as a barrier. Another method is cream of wheat. Do not cook it, put it out raw and the ants will bring it home and eat it and it will expand in their stomachs killing them.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers