Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Looking for NGSS - DCI spreadsheet

Next Generation Science Standards

Looking for NGSS - DCI spreadsheet

Author Post
Jennifer Webster Jennifer Webster 750 Points

Has anyone created or found a spreadsheet version of the DCIs only (not PEs)? I have a pdf, but it is proving impossible to get it into an editable G.sheets format to distribute to my fellow teachers. Before I launch into creating on my own, I thought I would see if anyone else has done this and would be willing to share the document. If you have seen it created and available somewhere, please point me to this resource. Thank you in advance.

Ted Willard Ted Willard 3080 Points

Jennifer-

For various work I am doing, I have put together a google doc that contains all of he performance expectations as well as all of the elements (the individual bullet points) that appear in the foundation boxes and appendices of the NGSS.  There is a tab for each of the different types of statements, including the Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs)

In addition, I have developed a human-readable coding scheme for each of the elements to make it easier to reference a particular element. Otherwise, people often have to use the first several words or even the whole text of the statement.

You can find the document at the following link:

I hope this helps.

-Ted

Brian Geniusz Brian Geniusz 185 Points

Ted,

This spreadsheet you have made is pretty amazing.  I can only imagine how much time it has taken you to put it together.  Please know I appreciate your efforts and will be tapping into this work as I help work with our science teachers.

Brian

Amy Briggs Amy Briggs 935 Points

It's nice to see that others have begun to develop their own spreadsheets and charts of information for standards, DCI, CCC, and such to link everything together making it easy and accessible for new and even experienced educators. Only today, I stumbled on a similar digital component with my school's science curriculum that was added as an afterthought reference. I wish I had discovered it months ago, but now at least I know and it's great to see these helpful crosswalks emerging.

April Davis April 10 Points

Thank you so much for the link.

Mitra Surik Mitra Surik 370 Points

I just had some difficulties in working with PDF files. I didn't know how to find a particular PDF document on my Mac. This is a separate challenge and I am very glad that I was able to find here https://setapp.com/how-to/search-for-text-with-pdf-search detailed and step by step article how to do it especially considering IOS system, so maybe it will be helpful and useful for you too.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers