Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Advice for Teaching Science With Limited Time

Elementary Science

Advice for Teaching Science With Limited Time

Author Post
KyDaisia Holmes KyDaisia Holmes 280 Points

Hello, I am a pre-service teacher and wanted to know any tips and advice for teaching a science lesson and fully covering the topic within a short amount of time. In the area that I am currently attending school there are elementary schools who are alternating days and alternating between science and social studies. For the future, how can I plan better where I am able to cover a full science lesson within a short amount of time and with limited days of teaching the content to the students ? 

Kyla Nelson Kyla Nelson 80 Points

Hello! I completely understand your situation. My district has limited science instruction to 20 minutes a day and it is very difficult to give quality science lessons in that short time frame. My adivce is to include science concepts in other lessons and make cross curricular connections. This way, you can cover core concepts during designated science time, but still inlcude the topic in other lessons. For example, many science concepts require data collection and interprepation. Once you have taught the core concept, you can include making graphs in your math lesson and tie it to the science instruction.

Stephanie Matteo Stephanie Matteo 975 Points

Hello, I am also a preservice teacher! I have noticed that maximizing science lessons within a specific timeframe demands strategic planning. I would start by recognizing and prioritizing key concepts to ensure all key information is covered. Include hands-on activities and experiments that directly relate to these concepts, qhich will essure the students are staying engaged. Use technology tools, such as interactive simulations or online resources, to support your lessons. Make sure to incorporate visual aids like diagrams and charts for clarity, and encourage students to work together during group activities to maximize student engagement. Relate scientific concepts to real-world examples, making the material more relevant and accessible. Foster curiosity through inquiry-based learning, prompting students to explore and discover answers collaboratively. Implement formative assessments to gauge understanding in real-time and adjust your teaching approach accordingly. Consider a flipped classroom approach, where foundational concepts are reviewed at home, allowing for focused application and exploration during class time. Conclude lessons with effective summaries to reinforce key points. Stay adaptable and responsive to students' needs, ensuring a flexible teaching approach. With these strategies, you'll be well-equipped to deliver comprehensive and engaging science lessons within the constraints of limited time and alternating schedules. I wish you the best of luck in your future teaching endeavors! If I had one question it would be what are fun and engaging activities to use within the classroom when you have limited time to teach?

Maddy Moser Maddy Moser 735 Points

Hello, I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College. I have also experienced science and social studies classes being alternated on different days with short amounts of time to teach the lesson. I believe that it is important to engage the students with hands-on activities during the science period. I have seen science resources that have included the amount of time it takes for each lesson which would be beneficial when thinking about time management. On top of time, there are many online resources for students to engage in that are self-paced. This can allow students to engage in each lesson but also complete the lesson on their own time if additional time is needed. 

Sofia D'Alessandro Sofia D'Alessandro 240 Points

Hi! I am also a preservice teacher at Monmouth University. At my clinical placement this semester, the classroom I was working in also had limited time to teach science. To help work around this, the teacher would include science in different subject areas. For example, while I was observing this classroom, the teacher had her reading units based around spiders and bats. In these units, she would specifically choose books for the students to read that discuss spiders and bats' diets, environments, different types of spiders and bats, and other important characteristics. This allowed students to practice their reading skills while learning about some science through spiders and bats.

In your placement, is there any place where science can be incorporated into other subjects like reading? Therefore, when students are learning social studies, they still learn some science concepts through the readings. For instance, the teacher can include books discussing different habitats or animals found at a location (like a zoo). Suppose students are working on specific skills in reading, such as identifying the main idea or supporting details. In that case, the reading the students are using can be about a topic that is covered in the school's science curriculum. Incorporating activities like this can help include more science into the student's learning without trying to include additional work when the school day is already pressed for time. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers