Anthony Thomas Anthony Thomas 270 Points

Formative Assessment 

Anthony Thomas 
Voorhees University 
MEDU 603 GR: STEAM Assessment 
Dr. Ciprhah 
Mar 24, 2024 

Formative Assessment 

This week we are to discuss formative assessments and how they will help students become more proficient in their studies. What is a formative assessment? A formative assessment is when we as educators provide ongoing tasks that will display how the student is receiving information as the unit progresses. Whereas a summative assessment is given at the end of the unit a formative assessment will happen throughout the lesson. This gives us data on how the student processes and the quality of output they give when completing tasks based upon the information given. 

Some examples of formative assessments are surveys, guided and open questions in open classroom discussion, and concept mapping. In my unit specifically these formative assessment examples are perfect for my unit plan. I can start with an open classroom discussion about several types of neglected diseases, what they are, what causes them, how they progress, and how we can create solutions. These are all questions that can be utilized in discussion in various stages of learning. I can also use the concepts map and students can provide illustrations of the distinct stages of neglected tropical diseases. This will show what they have learned thus far and can provide just how they are learning throughout the unit. 

References 

Fincke, K., Morrison, D., Bergsman, K., & Bell, P. (Nov./Dec. 2021). Formative assessment for equitable learning: Leveraging student voice through practical measures. The Science Teacher, 89 (2). 

Keeley, P. (2019). Formative assessment in the science classroom: What it is and what it is not. Science & Children, 56(9), 8-9. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers