Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Any Advise?

New Teachers

Any Advise?

Author Post
Alejandra Rojo Alejandra Rojo 590 Points

Hello, I am planning on graduating in a year and I want to make sure that I am prepared to what to expect or do when I become a teacher. I have received feedback that the first year is the hardest because if you do not control your class 'they will eat you alive.' I am afraid of being too nice to the students and not be able to control them when they misbehave. Any advice is welcomed. 

Xochitl Carmona Xochitl Carmona 570 Points

I completely understand that feeling. I recently just got hired as a Substitute teacher and I was afraid of the same thing. What I did to help the situation is I make friends with faculty and other teachers. I constantly asked for help when I needed it, so don't be scared to do that. I also talked with my students and told them about the reality we are in. 'I'm your teacher but that doesn't mean that I font understand what your going through. You have respect for me and ill have the same for you.' After they heard that it became easier and after a while, I would have students see me in the hall in the morning and ask if I was subbing for their class that day. Just take a deep breath and you will be fine. Good Luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers