Forums

Forums / STEM / Seeking input of STEM activities for a lesson plan on the states of matter

STEM

Seeking input of STEM activities for a lesson plan on the states of matter

Author Post
Abigail Salas Abigail Salas 730 Points

Hello, my name is Abigail. I am a student at Dominican University majoring in Elementary Education. I am looking for educational and engaging STEM activities that can be used to teach2nd graders about the states of matter for 2nd graders? Do you have any recommendations of any activities that can capture students interest on learning more about the states of matter?

I truly value your input, and I'm excited to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Your insights will help me create a lesson plan that not only informs but also sparks the curiosity and imagination of students. I look forward to learning from your experiences!

Vanessa Barrera Vanessa 170 Points

Hello Abigail,

I am currently working at an Elementary school and have seen in STEM class how many students looove the lava lamps, I think that would be a great STEM activity and you are able to do a whole lesson plan with this states of matter acitivity. You can use recycle water bottles that many schools already collect and that way you do not need to spend more of your money towards this project. The kids will also be fascinated with taking these home and knowing they had input in creating their own lava lamps. You can even have different colors for them to pick (glow), there are so many things you can add to this activity, even glitter for the girls. The students will love this activity and will have lots of fun!!

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hi Abigail,

I am part of the FunScienceDemos team which is a youtube channel aimed at making science learning fun and easy. The channel has over 250 videos for every topic and many STEM activites and experiments that simplify and explain scientific concepts. There is also a website for teachers, https://www.funscience.support/. The website has readings, math activities and other helpful resources. Please check them out as there are videos on states of matter. There is a Phet Simulation video which you can present in class yourself and there is video with a demonstration that I think will be useful. I hope this helps! Thank you and good luck. 

Danielle Donelli Danielle Donelli 529 Points

Hi Abigail, there are so many activities out there for this! One I reccommend is a rock candy experiment, this is a fun and cool way to see liquids form into solids. Another one you could do is make Oobleck. Try using this link to find some more ideas, it's a good one to save for your future classroom! I hope this helps!

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/stem-activities/subjects/second-grade?s=solids%2c+liquids%2c+gases&p=3 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers