Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Data today on Warmest decade on record

Earth and Space Science

Data today on Warmest decade on record

Author Post
Robert Ryshke Robert Ryshke 355 Points

We should use the data that came out today that says that the decade of 2000-2010 was the warmest decade on record. See the article in New York Times at:

NASA data in NYT article...

Would be good to share this data and generate a conversation around its meaning in our earth science classes!

What about a project associated with this--collect temp data, collect stories that might be related, look at some of the national politics, or local politics around global warming.

What do you think?

Bob Ryshke
Center for Teaching
Westminster Schools

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

I agree, Bob! Politics, policy (local, state, and federal), and informed public opinion determine future policies. It is so important to bring timely issues to the attention of our students. There is another lively discussion around this topic at the discussion thread entitled: Global Climate change and recent weather patterns. Pam shared the NOVA video on 'Extreme Ice' and there were some excellent suggestions for teaching resources from others.

I found some great resources at the NASA, NOAA, SRS, UCAR, USFS/NSTA Climate Change Seminar and Webinar Series webpage. Besides being able to see what is available at the upcoming San Francisco NSTA conference, all of the archived seminars and webinars on this topic are listed and linked so that one can go right to a particular archived webinar and download the power point or pdf presentation for free.

You wondered, 'What about a project associated with this--collect temp data, collect stories that might be related, look at some of the national politics, or local politics around global warming.'
It will be interesting to see what others are doing in their classrooms to discuss this issue. What do others think?

Carolyn: Really good ideas and delighted that you are exploring and sharing some new resources. I will also take a look at some of them. I love the potential for this in Middle or Junior High School earth science classes. Let's see if others chime in and connect to this thread. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much! Bob

See one of the Science Packs on NSTA Science Learning Center, Human Resources and Environmental Impact (I think that is the name). Might want to see how this sci pack addresses the issues of global warming, especially with the new data coming out of NASA. Bob

Joshua Kohn Joshua Kohn 4405 Points

I also saw that this article was from last year. Very good information though to use in my Earth Science class here in Minnesota. Hard to think about global warming when it is -15 degrees here in St. Paul though! We are just about to study a weather unit in my classes and there a lot of very good resources to refresh and increase my content knowledge. Josh Kohn Farnsworth Aerospace Magnet School

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Bob, Arlene, Josh and Everyone! Wow, Josh, and I thought 8 degrees was cold when I woke up this morning in an otherwise beautiful day in Chicagoland (I used to live in Anoka). It's a great time to talk about global warming when it's so cold outside! If you are already aware of the other NSTA resource collections on weather, forgive me for mentioning them here. I am attaching the Elementary set, and the middle and high school collections are in the Learning Center, too. Although they are not meant to be resources for just global warming, the background information and array of resources are great for gathering additional ideas about other things that go along with global warming. Do I dare say, "Stay Warm?" Carolyn

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Another great resource addressing climate change is the Andrill Website. Andrill is the Antarctic Geological Drilling project. The website contains information about the drilling project, evidence of climate change, and current research in the Antarctic. There is also educator materials in the 'Project Iceberg' section.

Robin Sizemore Robin Anglin 2080 Points

Conversations about weather and climate change remind me that when I was checking the planting zones (USDA Hardiness Zones) the other day, I noticed a new map had been created and that my area (along with many others) had been changed to denote the warmer winters. See http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Ellis Sinclair Ellis Sinclair 30 Points

The past decade was the warmest on Earth in recorded history, and the year that ended 2019 continued its streak of temperature records, second only to 2016, data released by NASA showed on Wednesday.
'According to independent analyses by NASA and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Earth's temperature readings in 2019 ranked second since records began in 1880,' the NASA press office said.
The 2019 temperature reading was second only to 2016, which is still considered the warmest year on record, and thus continued the warming trend of the planet.
'The end of the decade is clearly the warmest in observational history,' Gavin Schmidt, head of NASA's incoming Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said in connection with the publication of the annual study. According to him, the data show that 'since 1960, each decade has been warmer than the previous one'. In addition, emphasize experts, we can confidently say that 'the past five years have been the warmest in 140 years'.

Jacquelyn Adcock Jacquelyn Adcock 780 Points

It would be interesting to now see the comparison of the decade mentioned in this original post to the decade following.  This could be another way for the students to work on research and graphing new trends.  Find the differences and compare them to increases of known causes of global warming to recognize any patterns between those two sets of data and what conclusions the students could come to.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers