Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Formative or Summative Assesment

New Teachers

Formative or Summative Assesment

Author Post
Patricia Martinez Patricia Martinez 590 Points

Hello all, I wanted to ask a question I am actually very curious about. In your first year of teaching, what kind of assesment did you use? Formative or Summative assesment? Why did you choose the one you did and how did it benefit/affect your first year as a teacher? 

Stephanie Wendt Stephanie Wendt 5713 Points

Hi Patricia. I saw that no one had replied to you yet, so I thought I would provide you with some basic infor about these two types of assessments. You will use both of these forms of assessment your first year and every year you teach. Formative assessment is used while you teach to check for understanding. These are the checks you make to inform yourself on student progress that is not graded. From asking questions to card sorts to activities like Four Corners...there are many ways to do this. Summative assessment comes at the end of a learning segment, and it's graded. These could be quizzes, tests, MAP testing, state testing, etc. You would benefit from Page Keeley's publications. She has many books with specific activities for teaching with formative assessments. She is a NSTApress author. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers