Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Integration- 2nd Grade

Elementary Science

Science Integration- 2nd Grade

Author Post
Maeann Bohner Maeann Bohner 160 Points

I'm currently in placement in a second grade classroom with students that are behind academically, with that being said there focus is on Math and Reading. Since I have been there I have not seen any sort of science integrated into their schedule. So my question is how can I integrate science into either subject and what would be some good science topics to include in those lessons? 

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Maeann,

Second grade is one of my favorites to teach. What about finding some literature books to drive your science instruction. Here are a few of my favorites:

* The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - order caterpillars or find them in your environment to bring into the classroom to watch go through their life cycle.

* Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Denise Fleming - incorporate the Engineering Design Process by reading the first part of the book, then have students talk about Mr. McGreeley's problem, brainstorm ways to solve his problem and build a prototype, students use pop-up bunnies to test their designs.

* Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw - students observe and take notes of plastic sheep in a jeep/car using different inclines (wood, sandpaper, etc.).

* The Curious Garden by Peter Brown - plant seeds and watch them grow. 

I've also included a math measurement lesson from NSTA for your kiddos.

Have fun!

Attachments

Engineering Design Process (External Website)

Designing Healthy Ice Pops (Article)

Butterfly Life Cycle NatGeo (External Website)

Math Science Integration (External Website)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers